Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A "just in case" quilt >

A "just in case" quilt

A "just in case" quilt

Old 08-09-2017, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
I usually make what I like with no intended recipient. I just make quilts and keep them until I need one for a gift. Then I choose one appropriate for the occasion.
This is pretty much how I do it, although often I figure out who a quilt is "destined" for before I get it finished.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:13 PM

I have quite a few tops finished. That way I can give the recipient a choice. Each finished top has the backing & binding material folded in the top. This way the recipient can choose something they like & will want to keep.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

It's a terrific idea. And be sure to give it to the ones you intended it for. It will make you feel good.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:44 PM

Like others have said, I make what strikes my fancy. I keep all my completed items in a cabinet in my living room. When the occasion calls, I choose one. I like to donate my items to charities who sell them at fundraisers. Sometimes those events come up quickly so I like to have some already made. I think I have 4 quilts ready right now.

Last week I visited two different friends. I brought everything from my cabinet to their houses - 2 laundry baskets full! I let them choose whatever they wanted. I gifted 3 quilts, 3 tote bags, a wristlet and 5 eyeglass cases that day.

I like that they got to choose whichever items they wanted.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

I haven't but I think it's a really good idea.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

Since all my family and a few of their friends have some of my quilts. I keep many in case I find someone that needs a quilt. Some I don't want to let go of right now but, when someone comes along I will.

I also donate to kids in foster care and some that must be removed from their homes.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:47 PM

I have made 6 of the 8 baby quilts I am making to put away for great-grandchildren I may or may not be around to greet. It's been a fun project and makes me happy that any great-grandchildren I may have will receive something I made for them. My daughter-in-law has agreed to be in charge of letting the parents chose one as needed if I'm not around to help them. It really isn't morbid, but is very satisfying.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:58 PM

I have a couple tops that would take no time to finish if I needed a "just in case" quilt. I don't limit it to quilts though. I always have a supply of "just in case" gifts on hand for those moments when I don't have time to run out and shop.
Hmmmm....wondering why I don't just finish them...???!!!
Old 08-10-2017, 04:40 AM

I frequently make quilts just because I want the challenge of a new pattern or I have the fabric on hand, I am a scrappy lover. I just set the quilt aside when finished knowing the there will be a person who needs the comfort of a quilt. A number of years ago, I had donation blocks, several quilts (3 or 4) finished that I made just to try the pattern and I heard in my heart to give them to a group of mature single women who had been emotionally wounded. So for Christmas that year I gave away 8 quilts. Sure, I had to rush near the end but I also knew I needed to do this for these gals. So, I am all behind your thoughts of making your "just in case" quilt. If they don't leave you can still bless your friends with a quilt for some occasion or no occasion at all.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:55 AM

I have a pile of just in case quilts. Some are finished and bound, others need binding, some need to be quilted. I finish them eventually when I figure out where they are going. Some are gifted to friends. Others go to charity or some good cause. I have given several to friends going thru chemo.