Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just curious...quilt tops? >

Just curious...quilt tops?

Just curious...quilt tops?

Old 05-05-2010, 05:09 PM

Momto4, before I got my longarm machine I hand quilted my quilts. I was working full time outside the home, but would set aside 30 minutes every evening before bedtime to relax and quilt. It took about 4 months to quilt full size quilts by hand. When the grandkids came along, I wanted my quilts done quicker so I quilted them on my domestic machine (a little Kemmore that I gave $75 for new. No walking foot) Have you considered the "quilt as you go method"? or "strip quilting" where you layer the backing, batting and maybe 1/3 of the top and quilt it before adding another 1/3 or so of the top to the backing and batting. Making a little less bulk to handle.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by momto4
humbird I am a part time student and stay at home mom so I DO have quite a bit of free time (well more than most people anyhow) I just do not have anyone to learn from and have been quite intimidated by trying it but I think economy is forcing my hand (no pun intended) and I will try and give it a go!
I was a mom to 4 at one time (while I guess I still am except they are older now) and I didn't have ANY free time. I must have been doing something wrong. :-D :-D :-D
Old 05-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

My first 8 or 9 quilts I tied. This is a very good alternative to regular quilting. The quilts I make are to sleep under and wash often. Try different ways and see what works best for you.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:16 PM

I have never had any of my quilts machine quilted - just can't afford it. I have handquilted all my work. Practice, practice, practice... you'll be good before you know it!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:53 PM

I have a cheap machine from sears that I do all my free motion quilting with I bought a generic quilting foot and walking foot taped over the dogs for free motion and it works great. I have a computerised machine also with a 100 stitches alphabet etc but I can't free motion with it. I bought the feet from a local Singer store I practice on 12 inch squqre befor doing a big quilt the use these mini practice squares for the inside of potholders I have done several quen quilts this way
Old 05-05-2010, 07:21 PM

Girls we can quilt our quilts. So don't stop piecing. Hand quilting is easy to learn. With the internet & tutorials out there today, it is much easier to learn than when I self taught myself by just sitting down and doing it. It does take time to do, but it is so rewarding and relaxing. I also self taught myself to machine quilt. I learned on potholders and placemats. If you have a Jo Anns near by, use a coupon & buy the Kona Muslin in the wide widths for your backings if you prefer to not piece them. To practice learning machine quilting you can go to Thrift Shops and buy clothes made from 100% cotton and use the fabric to make a sandwich to practice on. We can do this. We have to keep making beautful quilts. Who knows...some of you may end up making beautful Show Quilts one day & look back on this topic and laugh at our panic mode. BTW I have an older cheap end Bernina and the throat is not all that big but I struggle and it does work. Some quilts just scream out to me to be handquilted though. So they are.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:14 PM

If you can drop or cover your feed dogs & have an embroidery or darning foot, you can free motion quilt. The walking foot will help a lot for stitch in the ditch and sewing bindings on. Most feet have "generics" available for reasonable prices but there are exceptions.

Google Diane Gaudinsky and Caryl Bryer Fallert. I believe they both quilt this way. I know Diane does. You might find videos on u-tube that will show you how they "puddle" the quilt up. You kind of roll up all 4 sides and clip them, then quilt in the puddle--unroll a little more--quilt in new puddle.

I tried it but arthritis in the shoulders & trying to work with the tiny little harp space on my Singer machine quickly made me switch to Quilt as You Go & hand tying methods.

Eventually I moved up to a 9" machine. Later added a machine quilting frame and just recently got a 17" machine and more sturdy frame.

If you really get into quilting, you'll find a way to get it done and save your pennies/watch craigslist like a hawk/hit rummage sales and flea markets...whatever it takes to move up the scale. You might also like using the Flynn frame which is cheap and easily made if you don't want to buy the "real" one. Because of my shoulder problem, it didn't work too well for me and I had all ready fallen in love with stand up machine quilting.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by momto4
I am wondering if there are others out there like me who have quilt tops DONE but do not have the machine to quilt them nor the money to pay to have others quilt them. I bought the supplies to give hand quilting a go, with the prices of fabric going up as well now I honestly have no idea how I will afford to quilt. It is actually a quite depressing thought. I read other ladies saying they have enough to last years...gosh I think I have enough fabric to last MAYBE 3 months if I stretch it. I cant imagine paying to have it quilted on top of that. What are you guys going to do? Pile up or learn to hand quilt?
Give hand quilting a go. I started out this way and love it. My hubby tolerates my hobby but if I would pay to have them quilted I don't think he would be so tolerable anymore.

I am willing to share with you some tips to get you started. PM me with any questions.

Kyia
Old 05-05-2010, 09:48 PM

I agree with the above posts.....practice practice. On my very first quilt that I did, you can tell the improvement from where I started quilting from the bottom working the way up by the size of the stitches!!

Kyia
Old 05-05-2010, 10:16 PM

So I have a cheapo machine from Target. Very bottom line. It was a whopping 60 bucks a year ago. I don't have a walking foot either. Just read some tutorials and roll it up really tight and you will be fine :) The last one I just finished I did top to bottom squiggly lines. Nothin fancy but it turned out pretty well. Give it a try. I totally understand being tight on money as I am as well. Have you looked on craigslist? There are a lot of people on here that have had insane luck on fabric. I posted an add looking for cheap fabric as I was just learning how to quilt. A very sweet lady answered my ad and gave me a bunch of fabric from her stash that she no longer wanted. I wasn't looking for free but she gave all of it to me anyways and refused to let me pay her :) Quilters are nice. Look around. Use those resources! Good Luck. Try your machine out. If mine can do it I bet yours can too :)