Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
just curious >

just curious

just curious

Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by kathyjg View Post
As anyone ever tried using an old mattress bad for batting? I asked this because last week while in Goodwill there was a cotton twin size pad with straps and not the part that makes it fitted. Would this work?
I use them and had no trouble with them I also use older blankets or cheap stiff blanket it makes one heavy warm quilt let me tell you.My grandmother,mom and now me of course uses them can't go wrong by using them instead of filling up the land fills.When we can we should re purpose everything we can.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:42 AM

They work real good .They are not going to shrink anymore. I have made dozens of quilts using them and they are all still together.And the majority of them are used for camping
Old 11-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

The very first quilt I made was from a cheater panel given to me by my sister, so I decided to make a play quilt for my daughter to use when she played outside. I really, really, did not know what I was doing, so I used two - yes I said two - layers of an old mattress pad, plus 2 layers of polyester batting. Amazingly, my old reliable Sears Kenmore machine loved to sew heavy fabric, so she had no trouble doing some stitch in the ditch around the squares on the cheater panel. I used purchased seam binding to bind it and Kari used it for years, especially when playing with her dolls outside, no rocks or sticks got through that quilt. LOL. It was, however, a heavy quilt, but I've since learned that "less" is more. Every quilt I make I learn something, so that's a good thing, but I still laugh every time I think of that first quilt.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:49 PM

Default mattress pads

I bought several at the Thrift Store and they work just fine.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:10 PM

I used old mattress pads and leftover fabric to make mats for my pets.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

They would be perfect for me to use. I never iron a finished quilt and would not worry about heat. I only buy ones that can be washed on dried. Warm water and bleach should kill any germs. They would reall be perfect for making comforters or tied quilts.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:44 PM

I love this board! All these things I've heard and read and been told I should NEVER do and everybody does it! Wouldn't the quilt police have a heyday here! But, yes, I confess to using them too. If they're in decent shape, I don't see why not. That's what washing machines are for!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:59 PM

I, too, use them all the time. Sure saves $ not having to buy batting. I always check out the yard sales & thrift stores whenever I get a chance just for the mattress pads & covers. I also use blankets for batting. The only time I buy batting is when I make a quilt for a customer. With them paying for the quilt, I feel it should be the real thing. Besides, they are paying for it not me. LOL I would not open my door for the quilt police. There would be way to many violations. Anything goes with my quilts.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:50 AM

They make one very nice thick blanket! I use them for making beach or picnic blankets!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:25 PM

I use them when I find them and the right size for the quilt. I always wash with hot water and some bleach when I buy them. I have one I keep for my kitties to sleep on - they tell me it's quite comfy for them.