Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: just curious

Blog Entries

just curious

As anyone ever tried using an old mattress bad for batting? I asked this because last week while in Goodwill there was a cotton twin size pad with straps and not the part that makes it fitted. Would this work?

I don't see why not.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Our church quilting guild uses them in our charity quilts. It would work out just fine.

Blog Entries
    I don't see any reason why you can't use it for batting/

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
    Our church quilting guild uses them in our charity quilts. It would work out just fine.
    Huh.
    I never heard/thought of donating them for that use.

Great idea.
    Thanks.

I have one I am saving to use as batting. The sides kept ripping but it was still fairly new so I cut the sides off & plan to use it as a quilt batt. It is going to be one warm quilt!

Yes, I have used them. I am always a little squeamish about using those owned by others (found at thrift stores or garage sales), but I have occasionally used them if they are in excellent condition. I always wash them first.

I've used them plenty of times and the same for blankets. There's no law that states you have to use batting. I have a friend that cut apart sweat shirts and pants and zig zagged them together and used that as batting. Her brother says the quilt is great, and nice and warm.

Quote Originally Posted by kathyjg View Post
    As anyone ever tried using an old mattress bad for batting? I asked this because last week while in Goodwill there was a cotton twin size pad with straps and not the part that makes it fitted. Would this work?

If the pad is good material and construction---------------yes, I've used it. Be cautious, some of the stuff appears to be decent but if you take heat to it, you'll see it melts. Found out the hard way, I washed and dried a couple pads-----------and had a melted mess.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
    Yes, I have used them. I am always a little squeamish about using those owned by others (found at thrift stores or garage sales), but I have occasionally used them if they are in excellent condition. I always wash them first.
    My washer has a "sanitize" cycle, so I don't much care where stuff has been before------------it's clean when I'm done with it. Same with jeans and pants I use for my shopping bags--------into the sanitize cycle and we're good to go.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Yep, I would and have used it for batting. Some of the very old mattress pads are quite thick and make great potholder filling.

My husbands' grandmother use to use them for making pot holders/ hot pads.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I have a couple of old cotton ones that I have been saving-Anything I buy at thrift stores or garage sale I wash with hot water and some kind of bleach.

a mattress pad made the bestest batting for my friend. She found it still in the package and we decided to try it on a baby quilt. It came out so puffy and looked great

what a great way to re-use! Thanks for the idea!

I've used them (it) for smaller wall hangings that I'm keeping. They work just fine.

Those mattress pads also make great padding for your lovely varnished table top. Make it the size of your table, cover with a nice table cloth and if someone sets a hot dish anywhere on your table it will be protected from the damage! They also make great padding for potholders, hot mitts, or grab mats for your counter tops to protect them.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a good idea. But my question is does the cross grid stitching texture on the mattress pad show thru on the top or backing of the quilt where it hasn't been quilted? I'm not talking about being able to actually see the stitching thru the fabric.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

The stitching on the mattress pad should not show at all. I've pieced batts many times, and some were layered where they joined, but once the quilt is tied or otherwise quilted, no one was the wiser. (Just don't hang my quilts over the windows at the show. lol) What I'm wondering about is lumping. Some old mattress pads that I've seen were all lumpy. So be careful about the quality. But I have used them and had no problems.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I have used them for doll quilts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathyjg View Post
    I use them and had no trouble with them I also use older blankets or cheap stiff blanket it makes one heavy warm quilt let me tell you.My grandmother,mom and now me of course uses them can't go wrong by using them instead of filling up the land fills.When we can we should re purpose everything we can.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

Blog Entries
    They work real good .They are not going to shrink anymore. I have made dozens of quilts using them and they are all still together.And the majority of them are used for camping

Power Poster
    The very first quilt I made was from a cheater panel given to me by my sister, so I decided to make a play quilt for my daughter to use when she played outside. I really, really, did not know what I was doing, so I used two - yes I said two - layers of an old mattress pad, plus 2 layers of polyester batting. Amazingly, my old reliable Sears Kenmore machine loved to sew heavy fabric, so she had no trouble doing some stitch in the ditch around the squares on the cheater panel. I used purchased seam binding to bind it and Kari used it for years, especially when playing with her dolls outside, no rocks or sticks got through that quilt. LOL. It was, however, a heavy quilt, but I've since learned that "less" is more. Every quilt I make I learn something, so that's a good thing, but I still laugh every time I think of that first quilt.

mattress pads

I bought several at the Thrift Store and they work just fine.
    Pam Riggs

I used old mattress pads and leftover fabric to make mats for my pets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast