Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
just curious >

just curious

just curious

Old 11-16-2012, 01:48 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

The hotel where my husband stayed was going out of business and I bought 10 mattress pads, thinking I would use them instead of batting. Then, I started thinking about how many people slept on them and couldn't bring myself to use them. So now we use them when we move furniture or lay on the backseat of my car when taking the dogs to the groomers. I just couldn't get it out of my mind how many hundreds of people had slept on them. They were $1 each and were queen size. I've given a few away to people who are moving. I like using batting and after spending so much money and time on a quilt top, I don't mind spending a little bit extra for nice batting. I just bought quite a bit of batting on sale at Joann's for a really good price, so it's not breaking the bank.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:16 AM

they'd be fine if you washed them in bleach
Old 11-17-2012, 02:30 AM

I have also used them for some lap quilts and always on the look out for wool blankets too.....
Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by kathyjg View Post
As anyone ever tried using an old mattress bad for batting? I asked this because last week while in Goodwill there was a cotton twin size pad with straps and not the part that makes it fitted. Would this work?
I have frequently used old mattress pads as batting for small quilts. The only problem that I have found is that it makes a very heavy, but warm, quilt. It is actually too warm for most uses here in south Texas.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 AM

This is great news for me! A few months ago I accidentally took off the mattress pad when I was changing the sheets. I decided to throw it in the washer with the sheets. As it turns out, that overloaded the washer, and it ate the side netting of the pad. I've been saving it in hopes of using it for batting. This thread gives me hope. It does seem as though it would be very warm. I'll keep that in mind when deciding who to give it to.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by kathyjg View Post
As anyone ever tried using an old mattress bad for batting? I asked this because last week while in Goodwill there was a cotton twin size pad with straps and not the part that makes it fitted. Would this work?
Depends on the fabric and the batting used. I've used old pads more than once. Basically, you can test their durability by throwing in a hot wash and then a hot dryer. If they survive-------use them
Old 01-08-2013, 02:47 PM

Yes, I have used them for quilt batting and it works just fine.