Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just got a new Bernina! >

Just got a new Bernina!

Just got a new Bernina!

Old 10-28-2011, 08:18 PM

Congrats on your new Bernina. I have an older one that I bought new in 1984 it is a 930. I have loved every minute that I have used this jewel. I had a Singer golden touch (still do)that I bought new and sewed on for years, making my children's clothes and all of my wardrobe, but so wanted a Bernina. I put my little jewel on layaway and couldn't wait until I got it paid for. My Bernina has more than paid for itself. I keep it oiled and cleaned and haven't had any trouble with it yet. Keep your fingers crossed that I never do. I have my Singer and two FW's for backups, however I hate to say I haven't sewn on my Singer Golden Touch since I bought my Bernina. I probably should sell it, but I just hate to as it was my first sewing machine and sort of like a family member.
Wishing you years of wonderful sewing on your new machine. Be sure and show us pics. and what you make on it. I just know you will love it.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
Congrats on your new Bernina. I have an older one that I bought new in 1984 it is a 930. I have loved every minute that I have used this jewel. I had a Singer golden touch (still do)that I bought new and sewed on for years, making my children's clothes and all of my wardrobe, but so wanted a Bernina. I put my little jewel on layaway and couldn't wait until I got it paid for. My Bernina has more than paid for itself. I keep it oiled and cleaned and haven't had any trouble with it yet. Keep your fingers crossed that I never do. I have my Singer and two FW's for backups, however I hate to say I haven't sewn on my Singer Golden Touch since I bought my Bernina. I probably should sell it, but I just hate to as it was my first sewing machine and sort of like a family member.
Wishing you years of wonderful sewing on your new machine. Be sure and show us pics. and what you make on it. I just know you will love it.
I do my sewing at home on a 1260 that I've had for 13 yrs with no problems and have had Berninas since 1978 when I bought a 930. I sold the 930 and upgraded several times over the years, but needed a second machine to take to classes that I could keep in a rolling cart and bought a used 930. Both machines are wonderful. About 8 yrs ago I had an opportunity to buy a new 153QE but kept the other machine. Eventually I sold it to my SIL because my favorite is still my 1260.

I taught 5th graders through 12th graders on Berninas at school for 25 yrs. and had so few problems I'd recommend them to anyone.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:02 AM

I bought on of the singers a couple years ago. I hate the machine! I thought the same as you about the quilting but it is a terrible machine. I found a used Bernina & love it.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:20 AM

take the class, as many as you can, its well worth your time. I have 2 Berninas, a 165 that's 9 years old & a new 830. They can do so much. I also have a Pfaff creative vision, but the Berninas are my favorites. good luck

Cathy S/Willowwind
Old 10-29-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by grandma7
A few months ago, I bought a Singer Confidence and was dismayed at it being all plastic! It sewed OK, but started bunching up in the bobbin area. I did all of the trouble-shooting and then thought perhaps the feed dogs were the culprit. When I tried to lower and raise them, they wouldn't work and I couldn't get them to raise back up. I took it to repair man and he told me that he could fix it, but would not recommend quilting on this machine, as it wouldn't last a long time for this. Furthermore, he said he would not recommend lower/raising the feed dogs, as he couldn't guarantee they would raise again.

The reason I bought this machine was to quilt on and learn to free motion quilt on.

They gave me $300 for my machine (which is what I paid for it) on a new Bernina 350PE! I'm so excited and can't believe I finally have a Bernina! I guess I always thought they were out of my reach and I just "settled."

I'm so looking forward to sewing and quilting on it. I'm going to take advantage of the basic class that is offered with the purchase.

This baby is NOT plastic and should last me for a very long time.

I was hoping some of you ladies might have some thoughts on how to utilize it to it's fullest. Thanks!
I have had my 830 since 1973!!! It is the most wonderful machine EVER :thumbup: I quilt on it everyday and FMQ everyday, it is a workhorse :lol: I make sure to keep it clean and oiled. You have the BEST :thumbup:
Old 10-29-2011, 07:03 AM
jem

I have a Bernina for a few years and love it. I use it all the time as my main machine. However, I still have not used all the wonderful features it offers. ENJOY
Old 10-29-2011, 09:34 AM

I'm curious what the stitch regulator does. I think I've read that it's found only on the Bernina.

Also, I had no idea that plastic parts could be such a problem when I bought my two Brothers. The first one does have a problem, I think maybe it's the timing - it jumps a stitch every so often - and the second one works well, I really like it, but the plastic bobbin makes a lot of noise.

I'm assuming when they say plastic parts are not good for quilting they mean the actual end portion, quilting the layers. I don't think I could ever do that anyway. I don't have any strength in my fingers.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:18 PM

Nothing like a Bernina!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But my 1st Bernina had plastie spool holders on it and one of the broke and were replace with the metal. It was bought in the early 80's and now my niece is using it and I have 3 others and thought I was bad until, I started reading in the quiltingboard. ENJOY. iT MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE A MILLION BUCKS,
Old 10-29-2011, 03:18 PM

Good luck with the Bernina!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:32 PM

Thoughts on how to use it to the fullest: take your Machine Mastery classes until you are comfortable. The LQS where I teach allows customers to take the classes as often as they wish. Maybe your store does, too. Then start taking project classes to utilize the features on your machine. I've had students say they heard such-and-such in the Machine Mastery classes but it didn't really register until they USED it in a class. Also, as others have said, learn how to clean and oil your machine, and how to remove the head cover so that you can remove a thread stuck between the tension discs, should that happen. Enjoy your new machine!