Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just got a tip. >

Just got a tip.

Just got a tip.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:11 PM

Me too! I bought some fat quarters for .50 & some 1 yds. for 2.36. They had 2 yds & 3 yds. not on sale yet, the
lady sad they are waiting for manger to give the ok to put on clearance. The thing is, it is not in fabric dept. but
where they put all the clearance items. The lady had alot to put out from a shipment they had got from another
store. The store is in Colonial Heights,va.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
That sounds great! Our WalMart still does not sell fabric. You are fortunate. I hope the fabric gets to your WalMart soon and that you like the quality.
OUr Walmart doesn't have fabric either.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:47 PM

My Grandparents were from McMinnville, they are gone now....
Originally Posted by skrucker View Post
Do you mind if I ask 'where' in Oregon you are? The store here in McMinnville does not sell fabric anymore.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:08 PM

Our Wal-mart has a nice fabric dept, but like others, it's hard to find someone to cut for you. When I go by and there's a clerk there I feel that I need to find SOMETHING to buy! A friend had told me about a fabric she thought would be good for the backing of a quilt I'm working on. Went in and bought 4 yards @ $4.95/yd. There was a clerk in the dept when I got there so HAD to buy something! The selvedge says VIP by Cranston. It feels VERY nice and is 100% cotton. So today I went back and bought some more and ... are you ready?... there were TWO clerks in the fabric dept! Don't know what's going on, but like it! Biggest disappointment - last year I got Christmas fabric there VERY cheap in January. This year they had NO Christmas fabric. None at all. Strange.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 PM

Does your WalMart have the Quilting patterns and fabrics that A.E. Nathen puts out. They were called Quilters Collectables Block of the Month. Sometimes it really was not bad fabric at all and the quilts made up very pretty. I still download the patterns if it is something that I like but I would love to be able to find the fabrics. I would not mind ordering them online but so far I have not found them.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:35 PM

Our Walmart used to carry fabric and they're supposed to get it back. They did build a new big Super Walmart not far from me. I should check it out to see if they are carrying fabric.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 AM

It sounds to me like the WalMarts across the country are not very consistent in depts. or what they carry. They are in the process of training employees for the new WalMart they are opening in Albany and one the lady's from our store who is transfering told me, our store will have depts. that their store won't. One issue I about WalMart is I know their restock ability sucks at our store sometimes. Not so much in the fabrics dept. but in other areas. I have been trying to buy bags for one of my vacumes for two months and they have been out. Even worse when I went to buy bags for my other vacume a couple days ago, they are out of them to.I hope they don't take for ever to restock them. WalMart has always had a problem with their instocks as far as i've noticed.
As far as fabric depts., our store just put theirs back in so I hope they are not planning on removing it. I would be dissapointed. I order a lot of fabric online, but still getting cheap fabric that can be used for backing or other parts of a quilt helps the budget.
Sometime still, finding someone to cut is difficult, but i'm getting better at just grabbing someone from another dept. with a radio to make a call. They did have a wireless doorbell unit set up for the person to carry and the button on the counter, but somebody stole it.

Last edited by valsma; 01-09-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by jbj137 View Post
I talked to a salesperson in the fabric area in my local WM
(Greer, SC) and she said the Execs are complaining because
this dept. does not bring in enough money.

She stated she did not think they would keep fabric much longer.
J J
Maybe if they carried a nice asortment of decent quality fabric their department would bring in enough money. The inability of execs to connect the dots always amazes me.