Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just how hard is it? >

Just how hard is it?

Just how hard is it?

Old 05-13-2016, 07:09 PM
Power Poster

Hexies by hand are the easiet way to do them. I've made a few 3/4" hexies using the English Paper Piecing method. it's easy, quick and fun and accurate. Paper Pieces.com will send you a few packets for free to try and see if you liek them. or call them up to get them sooner. i just finished a 1" one also. they are addicting and portable.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

oh, fiskers makes a 1" and a 3/4" punch.
political glossies are the best for the papers. i also dab a dot of glue stick to them as I set them down onto the fabric, cut 1/4" seam allowance or more and off you go.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:50 AM
mem

I use the larger Fiskars punch, bought on sale at Joanns, with the thin cardboard subscription cards that come in magazines or other paper of that thickness that comes my way.

Bonnie Hunter has a great tutorial for cutting and sewing hexies

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2010/...-tutorial.html

Have not tried this, but here's one way to finish your project

http://badskirt.blogspot.com/2010/05/tutorial-finishing-you-hexie-quilts.html

Years ago I said I'd never ever do these and now I'm hooked .

Good luck and have fun...you may find them as addictive as I do.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
I'm still not certain how to get the backing on without ruining the crisp lines of the hexi's on the edges? ugh!
Red stilettos- How to make a pieced edge is covered in the book All Points Patchwork, by Diane Gilliland. Basically, you make a like sized and shaped loop of the entire project, lay it face to face with the outer edge of the quilt, Whip stitch it to the edge, then turn it to the back. (there are other considerations with batting and backing, but that is the gist of it.
I've done this for small table toppers, but not for an entire quilt.. For quilts, I've either cut the edges...(gasp!) or appliquéd them onto borders, which saves the integrity of the shape, but adds straight borders, which are easier to handle in the finishing and binding area.

I've also used the tutorial from Badskirt blog above before the new book came out. It is well written and easy to follow.

Last edited by Kris P; 05-14-2016 at 03:53 AM. Reason: more information
Old 05-14-2016, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

I say go for it. I consider myself an intermediate to semi-advanced quilter, mostly self-taught. The first big quilt I made was king size for our bed, from a crib size pattern my DH saw in a quilting magazine. I just figured, all I had to do is make more blocks, right? I really learned a lot making that quilt, including machine quilting it on my Kenmore, at least it made it through the quilt before I burned up the motor. Seriously, I'm sewing along and smoke is coming out of my sewing machine. Guess I worked the old dear too hard.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by mem View Post
I use the larger Fiskars punch, bought on sale at Joanns, with the thin cardboard subscription cards that come in magazines or other paper of that thickness that comes my way.

Bonnie Hunter has a great tutorial for cutting and sewing hexies

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2010/...-tutorial.html

Have not tried this, but here's one way to finish your project

http://badskirt.blogspot.com/2010/05/tutorial-finishing-you-hexie-quilts.html

Years ago I said I'd never ever do these and now I'm hooked .

Good luck and have fun...you may find them as addictive as I do.

I like the Fiskars punch too - much better than the mylar templates. I love making hexies but have problems sewing them together in large sections. Decided to just make the flower and applique it to a block and set them together with sashings. Love the look. I'm teaching a class in EPP in June. I use 2" squares and nip off the corners after I've basted the hexie.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
When you say Hexes, are you referring to the larger hexagons that can be easily stitch with large precut hexagon fabrics? Your seams allowances have to be accurate and stop on a specific point. Most smaller hexes are sewn using a technique called English paper piecing, different from paper piecing.

Depends on the pattern. There are hexi quilt patterns with no Y-seams. The patterns with triangles sewn to the hexi.

Sandy
Old 05-15-2016, 03:23 AM

I made a hexi quilt when I was a beginner....they are not difficult at all...if you like hand sewing...