Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just how well will it quilt? >

Just how well will it quilt?

Just how well will it quilt?

Old 05-07-2011, 08:42 AM

Practice saying "i'm not planning to buy anything today" then do what you need to do.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:27 AM

I bought a Janome 4800 and absolutely loved it, but as I progressed I wanted the automatic thread cutter feature, as well as the "cruise control", and larger throat area so went to a Janome 6600. I kept my 4800 and leave it in Florida to use there, but prefer my Janome 6600. When I bought my 6600, the dealer was having a special where they included the table that it drops into to give it a smooth working area, and I also mentioned to the dealer that a friend of mine had received a complimentary travel case on wheels with her Elna, and they threw that in as well.

I love the accufeed, and find that the "cruise control" helps me ergonomically, as I don't have the stresses in my knee, leg and hip from pushing and releasing the pedal. Also, It helps me in my shoulders, as I can sit up straight and just guide the fabric in, rather than feeling I need to use my upper body as much. (It's hard to explain, but it really is better for me physically). And when doing FMQ, I get a much more even stitch when I'm on cruise control. I just find the best speed for me, and leave it there, and then try to get into a very smooth movement with my hands to eliminate long or short stitches from jerky movements. That way I only have to concentrate on one thing (hand movement), not two (hand movement and foot pressure). You get used to stopping and starting with your thumb just by practice. I hope this makes sense, and helps.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:28 AM

I have the 6500 because at the time of purchase I could not justify the difference in cost to go to the 6600. I love my machine just wish it had the few extra decorative stitches that are on the 6600 ... again not worth the price increase for stitches, LOL

The 6500 is great for quilting, I love the extra throat space, needle up/down and all the other features including auto thread cutter.

Since I don't have the accufoot that comes with the 6600 I have no comparison to make.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Radiana
Originally Posted by Holice
I don't know where you are in California but near LA, the International Quilt Festival will be in Long Beach in July
All the machine dealers will be there and you can try them.
I'm up noth in San Jose. Thank you for the Horizon suggestion, something else to dream about, yes it would be great to have a large throat area.
PIQF is in San Mateo in October - all the dealers are there too.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:29 PM

I unfortuanately know nothing about either machine, however, I wanted to comment on the "snobs"...I use to feel the way you did...but now at 61 yrs. young, I'd like to share 3 bits of wisdom...(1)"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"(Eleanor Roosevelt), (2)When "snobs have their nose stuck up", just think of all of the beautiful things in this world that they are missing(my quote)...(3)I've learned to kill the snobby people with so much kindness it might just make them ill...
So take a class...everyone was a beginner at some point even if they might not remember it or admit to it...good luck to you... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Naomi
Old 05-07-2011, 02:46 PM

Go to Ray's on Meridian in San Jose. He is a great salesman & can really demo the machine & all it does. There was no pressure in selling. I started with the 4800 & then went to the 6600. In Sept., I traded in the 6600 for the Horizon. Both are great machines, & I would consider another Janome when in the market. They also have classes that help you learn the machine.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:52 PM

If you can swing it I'dgo to the Horizon because of it's size. As for feeling pressured, just leave your credit cards, checks, and anything over $20 at home. I find when I can't pay for anything, the pressure goes away :)
Old 05-07-2011, 05:54 PM

I've had my 6600 for 3 yrs now. I considered myself a "sewer' when I bought my machine. Several things were "must haves" for me...auto threading, lots of decorative stitching and a walking foot (which I really wasn't familiar with). I also do not like spending a lot of money but I also did not want to buy a machine and outgrow it in a year. So I took a deep breath and got the machine I wanted. I must say I have not regretted it one time. It is workhorse and I have sewn many many hours on it. Some problems of course but it has always been "operator error". Didn't get much instruction on my machine, which I wish I had. Manual is marginal and doesn't really cover much. Suggest you make a quilt sandwich and try every single stitch (mark the mode/stitch #, length and width. I refer to mine a lot. Have also learned a great deal on this board about quilting (general stuff) as well as the yahoo 6600 group (more specific stuff). So good luck and remember to take a big breath!
Old 05-07-2011, 06:09 PM

I have the 6600 & love it. The manual is very basic. I found out more by joining the Yahoo group for 6600/6500 users.

It is hard to make a decision involving close to $2000. Sometimes making any decision is so hard, I end up doing nothing. You just need to test drive 3 different models and decide which options you like best.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:47 PM

I've had my 6600 for a few years now. When my DH brought it home I was very busy working on a couple of projects with deadlines. So it sat in the box for a fortnight.
When I started to use it I wasn't sure if I'd made a mistake in buying it. After a few lessons and lots of sewing I now couldn't imagine life without it. As you said it's not a machine you want to be carting around. It is quite heavy but that's because it's made of metal.
I have a Janome 5024 that I cart around to classes & group. While it is a good little machine I only use my 6600 at home as well as my 10000 for embroidery.