Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or does anyone else get aggrevated....

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I usually make my first cut parallel to/with the selvage.

That way, if cutting squares or rectangles, at least two sides of the piece will be on-grain.
    Thanks, I appreciate the answers.

My favorite quilt shops here in town cut with a mat and rotory cutter. I love that more than I can express.

But the fabric stores are a completely different story.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Been there !!!And I can so relate... Now I watch when they cut my fabric. If i don't like what i see I make sure to mention.. Hey its my money, and I want what i paid for!!!

Blog Entries
    Our closest Hancock Fabrics has recently been remodeled to include lots more crafting items. It's a great improvement over the old store. On my last trip there, I was buying fabric for the first time since the remodel and noticed that the cutting table had the standard rulers along the edge, but NO "groove" or line for the clerk to follow for cutting straight. I commented to the gal who was cutting for me and she didn't seem bothered by it. She, fortunately, had a good eye for "straight" and cut my fabric okay. I'm gonna be really watchful the next time I go in there. Often I get a clerk who doesn't give a darn how she cuts. That could cause me to be seriously short on fabric once I straighten out the cut.

Let the buyer beware!!!

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Just curious, why are you offended when fabric is torn? The tear is on the grain......
    I never minded until I noticed, with a gingham, that the lines were a little distorted. I wasn't why it was that way, but an older/wiser quilter showed me that when they tear the fabric, sometimes it stresses the threads that make up the fabric but we rarely catch it unless it's with an obviously, straight line fabric. Months later, I read the same thing in one of my quilting books. Now, I cut just to be safe. :|

Bearisgray: Losing so much to fraying in the wash is exactly why I hand wash all my fabric in the kitchen sink now. There will still be some stringies, by NOTHING like the wad you get from a washing machine. What I wish I had was an old fashioned wringer!!

Power Poster
    I lose nothing to fraying in my wash now because I either serge or overcast the raw edges before washing.

Sometimes you may get a fabric where the print is not printed on grain. That presents a problem and if you want to use it you must cut according to the print and not the weave of the fabric.

Power Poster
    After getting a few bad cuts, one learns to be more selective and/or more assertive.

I don't fault the clerks anymore as they are not the ones who put it on the blot to begin with. It is the manufactureers at the mill not taking the time to be sure it is on the bolt straight.

Banned
    I use a rotary cutter and ruler and always give an extra 1/2 inche per yard when measuring.. When I get a bolt of fabric that is printed off grain, I will add enough to compesate, sometimes up to 2 inches on each end. Oh yeah, at no extra charge.

And if I am at the end of a bolt I give any thing less that 1/4 yard to the customer at no charge.

It always bugs me at Hancocks when the measure the end of the bold to the inch and charge me for it...

Quote Originally Posted by Linda B
    when the folks at LQS don't bother to cut fabric that has a very clear straight line pattern to it along that line? I've been working with the Boy Scout line of fabric and I do acknowledge that several pieces of the material were all wonky on the bolt which means I'm having to block each piece to get the pattern lines straight. But on at least 2 pieces I got locally I lost 3 - 4 inches of length due to the way it was cut. So, is it just me or do you think fabric should be cut along pattern lines when it's very obvious? Oh, and another thing - not even a 1/4 inch extra over the yard I asked for!!
    I DO think fabric should be cut along pattern lines, but you have to tell the cutter in advance; never assume that common sense prevails or that anyone else shares the same thought(s) that you do. Politely make very clear what you want. I always do and it saves being angry at myself for wasting money. Luckily I've been fairly fortunate with fabric I've bought on-line. I've bought from 4 different on-line fabric companies and there is only one of those that I will not do business with again.

Fabric.com always gives you inches extra not to mention good service.I've been ordering from them for years and have never been disappointed,check it out ladies.Jetta

M LQS is certainly not like that. Didn't realize I was so blessed!!

Irritated? Who, me? :shock: Never!!! ROFLOL :lol:

I agree and when fat quarters aren't cut the same - I get upset when trying to use panels that are not squared up on the fabric, but that is a fabric problem not a lqs problem

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    there is a lady at joanns I will wait till someone else is free she is notorious for not cutting staring and tearing the fabric! Cannot stand it just waist.
    If she is working at joann's then unless it is fur, it is corporate policy to cut every piece of fabric. I know, I have worked at the fabric counter at joann's for the last 10 plus years until recently. A bunch of the fabrics are not printed straight. With the ripping the fabric piece with be with the grain but not always the print.

there is a lady at joanns I will wait till someone else is free she is notorious for not cutting staring and tearing the fabric! Cannot stand it just waist.
    Joann's trains their people not to give an extra amount if the cut is crooked. They are supposed to cut it off and throw it away. Stupid way to do business if you ask me.

I find it very frusterating too..

Blog Entries
    If I find that somewhere doesn't cut like I prefer, I ask them to do it how I prefer. I feel that as the "customer" I have that right. If they then don't cut it how I prefer, well, then I feel its a good reason to take my business elsewhere. I just don't like aggravation anymore...its easy to avoid, just shop elsewhere.

tearing actually is the best. straight of grain. you can then stretch or pull into square. if you ever get a chance to see what our fabric goes thru before we ever buy it you would wonder how anything is ever straight

If you're going to have a piece cut like that, ask the cutter to cut it the way you want. Most people will comply cheerfully. I can imagine that when they cut fabric all day long, they don't even see the pattern on the fabric any more. Drawing their attention to it might help.

I used to have a hard time asking for what I want; but with practice, it got easier.

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou
    Joann's trains their people not to give an extra amount if the cut is crooked. They are supposed to cut it off and throw it away. Stupid way to do business if you ask me.
    Actually we are trained to cut straight but if it is already crocked, we are to straighted it out then measure the accurate amount. We are tested monthy . If you want 1 inch you get it exactly

Quote Originally Posted by bluadept
    Actually we are trained to cut straight but if it is already crocked, we are to straighted it out then measure the accurate amount. We are tested monthy . If you want 1 inch you get it exactly
    Oh we also have to account for the amount that we we eventually thrown out by the inch and item number. When inventory time comes we have to account for every inch of that fabric. So if you want 12 inches ask for it but if you really needed more make sure that is what is requested.

Oh we also have to account for the amount that we we eventually thrown out by the inch and item number. When inventory time comes we have to account for every inch of that fabric. So if you want 12 inches ask for it but if you really needed more make sure that is what is requested.
    Oh that is so interesting. It makes sense though. It's unfortunate, but many businesses are robbed blind by their own employees, and so I can see how this would give them some control over their inventory. (This isn't meant to disparage JoAnn's employees; just a comment on the state of things from what I read in the newspaper.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast