Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it just me or are some of the patterns coming are terrible >

Is it just me or are some of the patterns coming are terrible

Is it just me or are some of the patterns coming are terrible

Old 09-25-2011, 02:35 PM

There's a thread on here "To name 3 quilts on your bucket list,you hope to make".I was amazed at how many posters mentioned the old,classic patterns.

Personally,I don't care for some of the newer patterns that,when finished,look more like a mish mash than a pattern.To each his own.Have never bought the wild,big flowered fabric, but I'm always behind the times.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:21 PM

In answer to muddlingabout

Why not ask here. Maybe the challenge will satisfy the need and inspire others who feel the patterns are a bit stale.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:03 PM

i signed up for the free block of the day but maybe keep only 2 or all months everything else is just not worth it
Old 09-25-2011, 04:25 PM

I too let my subscriptions lapse. There is so much information here and inspiration who needs a magazine.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Quilterfay
I have signed up for many, many web sites and find that the patterns are not very nice or inventive and some of the fabric is so dark that you can't really see the pattern.

Maybe it is a matter of taste but I would say I don't like the majority of them.

Also how can they take an old pattern and call it theirs. Just because they use different fabric.

THEY REALLY CAN'T. MOST QUILT BLOCK PATTERNS ARE IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.

I have only made quilts the same as the pattern when it was a BOM. I look at the pattern and decide what fabric I want to make it out of. Or I buy fabric and then look for a pattern to make from it. But that has backfired a few times as I don't have enough fabric.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:48 PM

I don't subscribe to magazines anymore...I have such a vast collection that every new magazine I look at I've got 4 or five at home with the same pattern! Since I love to make scrappy quilts I just pick a couple of blocks and go!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:05 PM

I agree with all of the above through the 1980's and 1990's I subscribed to every quilting magazine and always excited for their arrival but now they are just blah I do not get any of them went through some of my old ones the other night and found something in everyone of them that I would like to make and yes I agree some of this new fabric can just stay in the stores oh well I have enough to do and I can save money this way
Old 09-25-2011, 08:01 PM

When I used to make clothes, I could look at a pattern and look at various fabrics and visualize how they would look.

Years ago, I could look through the magazines and "see" the quilts with fabrics from my stash, but the quilts in the magazines were generally not trying to use a complete fabric line, but rather the fabrics were chosen to achieve a specific look. Now I am a bit turned off when I see that a pattern is using one particular fabric line -- sometimes I just turn the page. I enjoy looking at the magazines where they do alternate color palettes -- it gives a different view of the pattern.

I have lived (and sewed) through the 50's, 60's and 70's and there are only a few of the color combinations that I am willing to revisit, so I am glad my stash will carry me through for a while.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:20 PM

I have an old pattern, double z , it is not a new pattern ,but I have put in enough light and dark fabrics it looks like a glass window from a church, don't think it was meant to be that way, I am using several different scraps , plan on giving it to my oldest son when it is finished , he will be 60 next month ,hope he gets it before he is 70, LOL, :-P :-P :-P
Old 09-25-2011, 08:44 PM

I subscribe to quite a few quilt mags that I am thinking of not renewing for this reason. Same old ones and nothing spectacular anymore. And I'm not into the new art quilts, although they are nice.