Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it just me or are some of the patterns coming are terrible >

Is it just me or are some of the patterns coming are terrible

Is it just me or are some of the patterns coming are terrible

Old 09-25-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by maryellen2u
I am inspired by so many of the avatars I see on this board! This is my new resource for designs and ideas. I wish we would have each person tell about their quilt, including the pattern name and where they got the idea/directions. I love them!
Interesting topic.

I'm unfamiliar with the word "avatar", but imagine those are the quilts and items on the left side of the screen which were displayed by the quilting artisans. I love these too and sometimes click on them thinking they must be even more spectacular in a larger size!
Old 09-25-2011, 04:53 AM

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I don't like many of them either. I'm learning to draft my own. I look at vintage quilts and look for things I like and don't like and try to make it what I want it to be.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:27 AM

Over the years I have made mental notes about the quilts I am seeing. Some of these "new ones" are just blocks cut into different shapes, rectangles mostly. The fabric moves along with this and is very contemparary. When I want to start a new quilt these and the fabric are not what calls to me. I am not moved by them, they don't call with a challenge. But I probably have more than enough fabric and patterns to sew every day of my life until Jesus comes back, so It is ok that this is happening and that it is not my taste. I honestly love the older quilts. There is so much creativity here on this board, I am so challenged to grow more. If these "new" ones are calling some one else, it might be a gateway to them being challenged to grow, make more intricate quilts and this wonderful love that we all have can be passed on, preserved. It is really great that we don't all have to be the same, do the same. Our diversity is what makes everyone of us creative. We challenge and encourage each other without even trying. Thank you for letting me share my thoughts.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:51 AM

That is also happening in other areas I collect patterns for 18 inch doll New patterns 2 just changed the pictures to new fabric and used the old patterns. guess they think
we won't notice.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Ok, Not sure where you are going here. If you don't like the pattern or fabric, then don't make it. There are lots of sites out there with free blocks, such as
http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html
Pick a block you like and get some fabric you love!
This site won't let me save to favorites. ;-( :thumbdown:
what am I doing wrong???
Old 09-25-2011, 06:17 AM

I always pick my own fabric colors no matter what the pattern calls for. I just pick a pattern because I like it. AND I never end up with that pattern anyway. When I sew, the quilt always morphs into something else but I always like what I end up with!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:59 AM

I am a pattern designer. (I hope I'm not violating forum guidelines by stating this, but my following impressions come from my business view of the market.) Currently, our pattern line contains only machine quilting designs intended for the domestic sewing machine, but my plans for 2012 are to add applique and pieced patterns in time for the fall quilt show season.

What I see as I look at the patterns around me is a lot of really easy stuff...big squares and rectangles...fast, quick and easy seems to be the goal.

But me, I like quilts that take awhile to make...like the 'Oh My Gosh Quilt' in my avatar here. Or the Birthday Quilt...both have lots of little 1-1/2" finished 9 patch blocks. Honestly, they are simple to make, too, but the scale of the design makes them infinitely more interesting (in my humble opinion) there's just a lot of them.

What is comes down to is the marketplace. The quilt store where I teach carries a lot of patterns. There appears to be a couple of 'favorite' designers where they've got the majority of the designer's pattern line. But most of the patterns are the fast, quick and easy stuff. One of the owners and I have talked extensively about it...she'd like to carry more involved, detailed patterns, but the customers buy the fast, quick and easy. The more advanced patterns don't sell.

The reality is that quilt stores need to move fabric to stay in business. The kind of quilt that I like to make will keep me busy for quite awhile, I'm not in the store buying new fabric on a regular basis. So I'm not the kind of customer that will keep their business going.

So what happens is that you've got more customers than not telling both the designers and store owners that they want fast, quick and easy. This information is gathered solely through pattern sales. The economics tell them they have to cater to a beginning type of quilter to move fabric. It's a vicious circle if you ask me.

There are two ways to go, again IMHO, either tell your local store owner what you want and back it up with your dollars...if you find a pattern online that's more to your liking...see if your local quilt store will order it for you...if you just buy it online, the store doesn't get that piece of market information or the revenue. If you like a particular designer, email them directly and tell them...if there's no website on the pattern envelope, they usually have a website or facebook page. Google to find them. Tell them specifically what you like, or don't like. Designers need that information, too.

As I said, we design machine quilting patterns. Our customers asked for more 'beginning' type patterns and we obliged...we want to grow our business. And it's our beginning designs that overwhelmingly sell the most when we vend. My market information tells me I need to add more 'beginning' type patterns.

The other option you have is to simply do your own thing. I use Electric Quilt to design...have purchased or upgraded to EQ3, EQ4, EQ6 and QE7...clearly I like the program. It was easy to learn. The books published by EQ have been totally worth the money...though there aren't any new ones for EQ7 yet. And as I've upgraded, everything I'd already learned was still applicable in the new upgrade...I didn't have to relearn.

So, to the original poster, I agree with you on the pattern front. But the only thing that can possibly change it is when quilters vote with their pocketbook and take it to the next level by involving their LQS and the designers by telling them what you want.

I hope this hasn't sounded preachy or as a rant on quilt stores or designers. It wasn't intended as such. It was intended to add to this conversation.

Thank you.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:01 AM

I just use the internet.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
I admit to flipping to the Table Of Content of the quilt magazines in Walmart. If there isn't something new I want to try, I don't buy. I find most of my inspiration right here. Keep up the beautiful quilt, runners and wallhanging examples QB members!
I had a friend who told me, if a quilt magazine doesn't have at least 3 patterns that you truly like, don't buy it. I don't buy many quilt magazines
Old 09-25-2011, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

I go to a lot of quilt shows and I see many of the quilts are made from patterns I have seen on paper or online and didn't care for but seeing them in person they are really beautiful.