Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it just me or are some of the patterns coming are terrible >

Is it just me or are some of the patterns coming are terrible

Is it just me or are some of the patterns coming are terrible

Old 09-24-2011, 01:01 PM

You are talking about issues of taste...pattern, fabric, color, whatever. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it "terrible" and it certainly doesn't mean other people don't like it. Having an open mind never hurt anyone. I don't like men in Speedos, the taste of liver, or the smell of cigars...yet other people love all those things. :lol:
Old 09-24-2011, 01:33 PM

I am usually so tempted when I see them or stores or receive subscription offers in the mail. Then I stop and think about how many subscriptions I've cancelled due to this Board and so many free patterns online. When I want to look at magazines, I just get a few from my collection in my sewing room and look at them.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:17 PM

I am one also that doesn't bother with magazine subscriptions anymore ... I use to try and subscribe to whatever I could as I love to look through them but 98% of the time I would either find one or none that I wanted to do in each issue. Unless it is a Christmas edition. I find just surfing the net I can find more that I like or just by looking at a pattern I can try and design my own that way.

I have great success going into my local quilt shop and looking at the patterns in there and buying them with my fabric choices.

However, to each their own ... some people like things that others dont.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
Originally Posted by scowlkat
That's why I don't buy magazines anymore. I can find any pattern I need in my head! thanks to lots of websites that offer free block designs.
I agree. As soon as I get a subscription, it seems like they don't have anything that I like.
Ditto!
Old 09-24-2011, 02:52 PM

I was just talking to a quilter at Hobby Lobby and we both agree that the material they are using is too dark and dull there is no snap to them
Old 09-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

I don't buy magazines anymore. Not my style patterns.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:24 PM

I am sorry if I offended some people with my question.... I was not meaning to offend anyone. As I understand our Board we all have the right to voice our questions and comments without being chastized.

I had just looked at some emails I had just got from various company web sites and said I didn't care for lots of the patterns and the drab fabric. Maybe it is just the web sites I have signed up to receive emails from. I feel that there are more patterns that don't appeal than do appeal to me.

I definitely am not talking about the lovely quilts we get to see on our Board.

My main question is how I still don't understand people/companies get away with using an old pattern and new fabric and call it their own?

I also have stopped lots of my magazines. In fact I just gave away a stack of magazine about 2 feet high. There was nothing in them that I would ever make.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:09 AM

The old patterns are in public domain and anyone can make a design with them. What is copyrighted is their directions for the quilt itself. Public domain means anyone can make a quilt with that pattern without giving credits.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:21 AM

I don't see a lot of the newer fabrics except by accident I am too busy trying to clean out my stash LOL
But I will say I have stopped buying magazines. The patterns mostly seem to be large prints and big squares or rectangles to show those off. While I think one or two is a good idea its pretty much mostly what I see now. Quilting Arts is about the only magazine I want to get a subscription to. It has more articles too.
I have been pretty much planning my own quilts. I have a bunch in my head to be done when I finish my UFO's.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:22 AM

Well over the years I have done the exact same thing as the designers are doing & taken an old design and brought it back to life by just changing colors & flipping the block around. Sometimes what you get is an outstanding an amazing result! Some of my best quilts turned out because of placing the blocks a different way then shown in a pattern. I wished that LQS & fabric stores instead of making & assembling the full quilt according to the pattern would just make the blocks so I can play with them! LOL