Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it just me or are some of the patterns coming are terrible >

Is it just me or are some of the patterns coming are terrible

Is it just me or are some of the patterns coming are terrible

Old 09-25-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by muddlingabout
Agreed. Worse yet are some of the instructions. I have to understand it in my head prior to undertaking. There is one that I want to do, but just can't make it happen. Even cut out construction paper to see the block sequencing and it still is not happening for me. Filed at the bottom of the someday heap, LOL
Your method of testing with construction paper is such a great idea. thanks for that info!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:29 AM

I have noticed that also. My mother used to say that when dark colors are used in clothing, quilts, etc that it showed the signs of the times.

Could she have been right? Nobody knows, but I have seen people in my area wearing more and more dark clothes.

Yet, the designers of clothing and quilt have become more erratic, in my opinion with their colors. This falls colors are purple and orange.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:35 AM

Interesting to read from the designer's point of view. Made me think about my buying patterns and what I do see at my LQS. I think that one of the LQS's in my area does try and present more complex designs to their customers in the form of classes, but the others couple of shops definitely display the easier/instrant gratification quilt patterns more.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:05 AM

I make many quilts per year and most of my patterns come from fabric mfgrs. Websites. I love mode bakeshop and RJR, I look at the design not the colors or fabrics. I always try to challenge myself to keep me learning and not bored. I look at these turning twenty and yellow brick road and I would be so bored doing one that I would never make the second one. Now I understand many Quilters only have time for these and love the simplicity and that is good. We are not all alike. But, please, designers, let's keep some of the more intricate ones coming to those of us who love the challenge of an intricate quilt.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Julie Baird
I hope this hasn't sounded preachy or as a rant on quilt stores or designers. It wasn't intended as such. It was intended to add to this conversation.

Thank you.
Not the least bit preachy. Your comments are very well put and make perfect sense. Thank you for sharing your unique perspective on this topic. :D
Old 09-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

I agree some quilts that are shown in quilt magazines are boring because of the fabric chosen. However, I think a true quilter will take a quilt block and by choosing different fabric can make gorgeous quilts. What is it that Mary Ellen Hopkins says - These are just kindergarten blocks, but it's the fabric that jazzes them up, or something like that. I agree. I have a friend who buys quilt kits because everything is already cut out, but I don't because I like choosing my own fabric. Different strokes.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

I think one can find patterns one likes and patterns one dislikes from almost any era.

Or blocks that one likes and dislikes in any particular quilt - the Jane A. Stickle quilt popularized in the Dear Jane book is one example - some of the blocks are - in my opinion - lovely. Others, what was she (or whoever - sometimes I've wondered if she participated in a block exchange) thinking?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:23 AM

Thank you for explaining from the designers prospective.

When you talked about the quick and easy patterns that is interesting. Until about a couple of months ago I had never made one of those quick and easy patterns. I have done bargello, paper pieces several time, OBW, and several other intermidate and advanced patterns. It was actually fun to make something so quickly. But there is no challenge there for me.

So thank again.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:16 AM

It seems to me that most of the quilts I'm seeing are modern which is ok, modern is ok...but seems like every quilt is white with brights and all squares and rectangles...no triangles which limits the design.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:28 PM

I have always had a problem with looking at a pattern even if it is clothing or quilting and then visualizing it with a fabric I have. I've been sewing 53 years and still haven't overcome this problem. I am dropping magazine subscriptions because of seeing the same pattern over and over in so many of them and just more and more advertising.