Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it just me?? >

Is it just me??

Is it just me??

Old 01-02-2011, 07:54 PM

I thought everyone dews barefoot...I agree shoes are for wearing when you leave house. I wish I would clean sewingroom each time I close for the day..would make life easier..
Old 01-02-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by smitty
Originally Posted by Ps 150
My DH says I'm quirky, too, but with all things, not just sewing or quilting.

I need to clean my sewing room between each new project or else I just can't bring myself to start it.

I have two DDs who are learning to sew and quilt so I HAVE to color coordinate the tools/notions or I go nuts. If the tools/notions are blue, they're Mommy's. If they're pink, they're the girls' (which means we support the breast cancer awareness campaign a LOT) and if they're purple, they're fair game. We can't always find notions in these colors so if they're the orange pinking shears or the yellow quilter's measuring tape, then the girls know to ask first. Also, my hand sewing/on-the-go sewing kit has all red tools/notions that go in my red tote bag so if we find a red notion lying around we know where it belongs.

I also use a hand-me-down quirk from my Gram. As a child I would spend hours in her sewing room, watching her sew and playing on the floor. She always said, and still does, that a good and proper sewing room always had three things in it--candy stashed somewhere, a button box and laughing children. I'm happy to say that this is a quirk that I stick to very closely, even though I'm dieting...it just means that DH and the kids visit more often to taste the new candy I've set out for them. :D
your place sounds like fun ! tools in different colors--what a stroke of genius. I always get to sew day without something because I used it--even though I have duplicates of all. colors would say to my brain that it belongs in a certain place. thanks !!!
I must confess it wasn't entirely my idea. My dad has a contracting company and his workers or friends were always either mistaking his tools for theirs or leaving them behind at a site so he started spray painting a splotch of blue paint on each of his tools and then everyone always knew that they were the boss' tools. It somehow stuck with me after all these years of living on my own so when my tools were somehow misused (yes, my DH tried to use a rotary cutter for a pizza cutter!! :evil: and then my girls would use my good shears for construction paper :( ) I started to color coordinate.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:08 PM

I keep my fabric projects in large zip lock bags, you know the two gallon size, I put all the fabric for the project along with the pattern so I can see the project that is ready to go, I keep the projects in a cupboard with glass doors so I can see them, Wip on one side, and New to be started on the other
Old 01-02-2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by chamby
Hey, you are too funny Jim. I also have to have my fabric folded neatly before leaving the store. I thought I was just funny about that. I can not stand to have my fabric handed to me all jumbled up.
This is too funny...I am too chicken to speak up and say anything about how the cutter folds the fabric but all the time I am watching how they fold, roll or smush the fabric, I am muttering to myself "It would be just as easy to fold it right instead of the mess you made." Of course as soon as I get in the door at home all the fabric gets taken out and folded "right".
Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 PM

I must be the odd one here, I can,t sew unless i have my shoes on. i sew in my Walking shoes. Just get a better feel for it. HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERY ONE.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by glennarogers59
I must be the odd one here, I can,t sew unless i have my shoes on. i sew in my Walking shoes. Just get a better feel for it. HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERY ONE.
NOPE, being diabetic, I have come to appreciate taking care of my feet! Pins are always finding their way to the floor, so I don't take chances....I am Southern raised and never shoes growing up..and most of adult years...it is hard to wear shoes in the house all the time, but in the sewing room I do!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:18 AM

barefoot in the summer and slippers in the winter. :lol:
Old 01-03-2011, 01:19 AM

I sew barefooted because I am always barefooted. My feet hate shoes and socks. What my husband thinks is the most weird is when I talk to the dolls and stuffed animals I am making. I also cover them up and make sure they are laying in a comfortable position when I am finished with them for the night and when I store them in plastic ziplock bags to keep them clean, I leave a small part of the zipper open so they can breathe. My Mom does the same things. So I tell my husband I come by it honestly.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:29 AM

Brilliant tips amongst all these 'quirks'. As a newish quilter they're so helpful.
Happy New Year from England.
Annie
Old 01-03-2011, 05:38 AM

I sew in my sock feet also. More control on that foot petal seems like. I hope to finish more projects than I start and file away this year. It gives us such a good feeling to complete one. I still take my tops to me good friend with the pattern quilter instead of trying to quilt them on my machine but have resolved to try that on one small project this year. I have a birthday in Jan and will be 81 is that too old to learn. Love the encouragement from this board.Blessings on you all.