Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it just me?? >

Is it just me??

Is it just me??

Old 01-02-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by angelarose
I have habits regarding sewing.
I can sew with or without shoes, most of the times with shoes (slippers).
Most often I work on one project at a time.
I like everything neat around me. I keep a small dish to put snipped threads or teeny scraps into and dump that dish when it's full. (The dish is my grandchildrens' baby dish I fed them from, so it has sentimental value.) If I can't pick up the threads, etc. with my hands, I use a lint brush. I just run it over the mat and table. This way I don't wear all the threads and fuzzies, just some of them!
Each WIP is organized: thread, bobbins, fabric pieces, notes about stitich length, etc. and pattern are contained in a container of some sort...usually a square plastic tub.
If the carpet needs it I run a small sweeper around the sewing/cutting tables. I can't help my obsession...been like this all my life.
The drawer I have thread in is so crammed. I have the threaded bobbins with the matching thread in those little snack bags. But it looks as if I have to use an additional drawer.
That's what I'm about with the quilting hobby.
It's fun to share how we do our own thing...so many sew barefooted! One of my daughters always drove barefooted as a teen.
I like to drive barefoot as well in the spring, summer and fall.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:52 PM

I don't think you're weird-you're just comfortable when you sew.I'm not sure I have any quirks, I haven't keep an eye on myself to find out.lol
Old 01-02-2011, 03:57 PM

I sew barefoot, a few years ago I was making a quilt top for a niece. I hate to quit until I'm done, almost finished and scooted my left foot back, felt a sting. Checked and only saw a drop of blood. Finished the top and cleaned up before checking my foot. Found a piece of a needle in the floor. The other half was broke off in my heel. Went to the er and the xray showed a 3/4' piece in the foot. The odd thing was that the xray tech said I was the 5th person to come in that day with a needle stuck in the foot.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:10 PM

I do sew barefooted, it just feels better. I have all my UFO's organized in plastic bags, Patterns organized, almost everything is organized , even my material , by color and theme. What I don't have organized is my quilting, such as planned, I just do things on a whim.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
Originally Posted by goldsberry921
Hmmm I don't know if I am organized or unorganized, I have certain fabrics grouped together for Ruben's lap quilt, Uncle Dan's quilt, MIL, quilt, Nino's quilt. Some are bagged and tagged with patterns, some aren't! I throw the scraps into a trash can and go through it later to sort through. The room I use is suppose to eventually turn into a guest bedroom. I think the patio could accomodate our guests LOL

After I am done with my living room quilt, I will start on Jojo's heart quilt, I've got plenty of heart fabric to make her a pretty special quilt in honor of my son.
I love the patio idea. I had a daybed in my sewing room. Decided it my sewing room and if anyone wanted to stay they would have to sleep on the hide a bed sofa in the famiily room. Don't get to many guests anymore anyway. HEHE I wonder why!! It is OK as I hate to cook anyway!!
The guest room no longer exists! That space in now my sewing room. The twin mattress and box spring, now holds the fabric for my design wall and if someone stays, I roll up my design wall and put the mattress down on the floor in the living room. --- I also sew with my shoe off. I need to feel that peddel.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:49 PM

i have to sew barefoot ,have to have chocolate or bubble gum while quilting, and either the tv or radio on !!!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:50 PM

I never wear shoes around the house - I am always barefoot- Shoes only go on when I leave the house. Socks - depends on if it is cold or not.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:13 PM
vic

I take off my right shoe/slipper to sew. I get a better feel and/or grip of speed. sounds strange, but works for me.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:13 PM

new pizza boxes are great for storing UFO's - samll for small projects, extra large for bigger projects....blocks lay flat....and te=hey stack well....our local pizza parlor have given me some when I've asked if I could buy them...
Old 01-02-2011, 05:28 PM

Geckogirl...You can fit all your UFOs in a DRAWER???? Absolutely amazing!!!! I'm SO impressed! I don't think you're quirky at all. I do tell my barefoot students in my quilting classes to watch out for pins on the floor...occupational hazard, I guess.