Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it just me?? >

Is it just me??

Is it just me??

Old 01-02-2011, 07:52 AM

I have always sewen barefoot. I don't know why, but I do. I started this morning raking through my sewing room from the diaster of Christmas rush sewing. I guess it will take a couple of days to get things back to their proper place. It is so easy to let it go to pot...and so hard to get it back in shape. I went to JoAnn's yesterday moring and bought a new 8 l/2" ruler and batting for three quilts all on sale with the 50% and 40% coupons and the extra 10% on all sales. It was nice....I had never seen a 8 l/2"ruler until we went to our Christmas RV rally. Our ladies brought blocks and we assembled quilts for our RVs. One of the gals had the ruler and it sure makes it easier. I have had a 6" forever, but it is suprising how often I had to add l/2 inch or more for borders etc. And at a sale price it was even a good buy. Well, got to get back to the clean up job. I promised myself no new projects until I can walk into the sewing room without fear of being covered by all the stuff that needs to be put up!!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

I dont think your odd either. I never wear shoes unless I have to, so I sew with socks on!
Old 01-02-2011, 08:03 AM

I normally sew barefoot in the summer, with socks in the spring and fall and I'm supposed to use slippers in the winter but it just doesn't feel right. My youngest DD and I have Reynaud's Syndrome. Hers affects her hands and mine affect my feet. When our bodies get cold, the veins clamp down a bit and restrict blood flow to our extremities. Most people have a form of it (like extra cold hands or white or red hands when cold) but ours are quite severe cases that involve tissue infections, open sores (when not cared for properly) and if left entirely alone, could lead to amputations. The doctors even said they had never seen a case so extreme in my DD so they wanted to record her flare ups for a medical journal. So, I'm supposed to keep bundled up in the house but I just keep a small space heater by the sewing table and aim it at my foot pedal so I can get away with sewing with fuzzy socks. :D
Old 01-02-2011, 08:05 AM

I too like your quirks and have most of the same. I sew with socks on in the winter, barefoot in summer.I try to keep things organized and use lots of large zip locks. Sometimes I cut a project and put in a zip lock and it waits until I can get to it. Having it cut out gets me more motivated to start a new project. So far, I have only one long-time UFO and I am working on three projects at once.My "different" quirk is that I find myself holding my mouth really weird when I am FMQ.Happy New Year,
Old 01-02-2011, 08:55 AM

Those things don't seem that odd to me.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Juliebelle
I too sew barefooted, don't know why or how it started but cannot feel the rhythm when I have socks for shoes on.
Ditto. Had to laugh at how many sew without shoes. Love this Board!
Old 01-02-2011, 11:07 AM

I don't have any UFO's, just WIP's and QIP (quilts in planning). My WIPs are out - any fabric for them that I'm not using yet is folded and in one of those plastic zipper bags that sheets come in, all qip fabrics are stored together according to project, the same way. I always sew with a pin between my lips, hubby thinks that is strange, but I use a pin for so many things when I'm sewing and I hate searching for it. I also sew in my bare feet, sometimes I'll wear a slipper on my left foot.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:11 AM

Me To!!! I buy stuff thats dirt cheap, for "just in case" by kids think im nuts or obsessed,I have stuff in my basement that's been there for twenty years "just in case" and I keep buying more
Old 01-02-2011, 12:41 PM

I have habits regarding sewing.
I can sew with or without shoes, most of the times with shoes (slippers).
Most often I work on one project at a time.
I like everything neat around me. I keep a small dish to put snipped threads or teeny scraps into and dump that dish when it's full. (The dish is my grandchildrens' baby dish I fed them from, so it has sentimental value.) If I can't pick up the threads, etc. with my hands, I use a lint brush. I just run it over the mat and table. This way I don't wear all the threads and fuzzies, just some of them!
Each WIP is organized: thread, bobbins, fabric pieces, notes about stitich length, etc. and pattern are contained in a container of some sort...usually a square plastic tub.
If the carpet needs it I run a small sweeper around the sewing/cutting tables. I can't help my obsession...been like this all my life.
The drawer I have thread in is so crammed. I have the threaded bobbins with the matching thread in those little snack bags. But it looks as if I have to use an additional drawer.
That's what I'm about with the quilting hobby.
It's fun to share how we do our own thing...so many sew barefooted! One of my daughters always drove barefooted as a teen.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:44 PM

I sew in stocking feet, just have better control. When I'm working on a big project, you better not interrupt. I also hate to stop sewing to make dinner - who needs to eat anyway.