Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it just me?? >

Is it just me??

Is it just me??

Old 01-02-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by rfmikelson
new pizza boxes are great for storing UFO's - samll for small projects, extra large for bigger projects....blocks lay flat....and te=hey stack well....our local pizza parlor have given me some when I've asked if I could buy them...
I was going to mention this. My youngest son worked at Pizza hut so I would have him bring me either med or large pizza boxes (clean & unused) home. I would paint them with white paint then put masking tape on the ends of the pizza boxes labeling the projects that are stored in them. I also store projects in the rubbermaid totes with all the fabrics & directions or pattern for that quilt stored together! LOL I have one from 2002 that is in a tote that I still have not even started! But hey, it there & ready to go when I need it right? I sew barefoot (thought everyone did!), I try to clean up after each project is finished. I hate having to hunt for a piece of fabric right in the middle of a project. Those are my quirks..........
Old 01-02-2011, 05:34 PM

I sew barefooted, also. I also have two lamps pointed directly at my sewing machine. My sewing room only has one over head lamp, and it holds 60 watt bulbs(2).
Old 01-02-2011, 06:49 PM

All those things sound normal to me. You must be a fun person.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
new pizza boxes are great for storing UFO's - samll for small projects, extra large for bigger projects....blocks lay flat....and te=hey stack well....our local pizza parlor have given me some when I've asked if I could buy them...
I was going to mention this. My youngest son worked at Pizza hut so I would have him bring me either med or large pizza boxes (clean & unused) home. I would paint them with white paint then put masking tape on the ends of the pizza boxes labeling the projects that are stored in them. I also store projects in the rubbermaid totes with all the fabrics & directions or pattern for that quilt stored together! LOL I have one from 2002 that is in a tote that I still have not even started! But hey, it there & ready to go when I need it right? I sew barefoot (thought everyone did!), I try to clean up after each project is finished. I hate having to hunt for a piece of fabric right in the middle of a project. Those are my quirks..........
I use unused pizza boxes as well! They're the perfect size for storing blocks for a quilt! :lol: DH thought I was nuts when I asked him to bring some from the pizza shop he stops into for lunch but when he explained what and why he wanted them, the woman behind the counter (a fellow quilter) lit up like a light. She loved the idea and now chats his ear off whenever he stops in. :lol: He says he may need to go to another lunch place since he gets all the quilt talk he needs at home. :-P
Old 01-02-2011, 07:06 PM

You seem prefectly fine to me.
I sew with my right shoe off, for some reason can't sew with it on, doesn't matter if I have a sock on or not, but can't sew with the shoe.
My husband is diabetic so I have all those nice plactic containers that the test strips come in, I separted all my machine needles by size and labeled them on the containers and put them in a plastic bin. Love those plastic bins, you can use them for everything.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Banned

if my UFO's, WIP's, adn PIG's fit into "A" drawer, my DH would think I had died!

I have shelves of unfinished things to do and shelves of things I really want to do and shelves of things I really NEED to do...sigh...

so glad I am closing my store, so I can get something done this year!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1Blondie
You seem prefectly fine to me.
I sew with my right shoe off, for some reason can't sew with it on, doesn't matter if I have a sock on or not, but can't sew with the shoe.
My husband is diabetic so I have all those nice plactic containers that the test strips come in, I separted all my machine needles by size and labeled them on the containers and put them in a plastic bin. Love those plastic bins, you can use them for everything.
they also hold prewound bobbins really good....I just use a colored sharpie that is close the thread color and make a large dot on the top, so when I open the drawer I know what I am looking for!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Banned

[quote=Ps 150][quote=Izaquilter]
just don't leave your fabric in the boxes too long..the acid in the paper process will do damages to the fabric!
If you have to use cardboard, line with some acid free tissue paper first!

I found that this time of year is the best time to buy those stacking ornament storage containers...Kmart has the perfect ones, they stack 2 high and are perfect for projects....Lowes has one that is 3 high, but they have not reduced the price enough yet..ehhehe
Kmarts were down to $7.00!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:19 PM

I have one of those plastic bins I inherited from my grandson...with 9 bins in it, it holds scraps waiting to be cut to sq. or strips & sorted into their designated clear shoeboxes. I am also a barefoot sewer.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ps 150
My DH says I'm quirky, too, but with all things, not just sewing or quilting.

I need to clean my sewing room between each new project or else I just can't bring myself to start it.

I have two DDs who are learning to sew and quilt so I HAVE to color coordinate the tools/notions or I go nuts. If the tools/notions are blue, they're Mommy's. If they're pink, they're the girls' (which means we support the breast cancer awareness campaign a LOT) and if they're purple, they're fair game. We can't always find notions in these colors so if they're the orange pinking shears or the yellow quilter's measuring tape, then the girls know to ask first. Also, my hand sewing/on-the-go sewing kit has all red tools/notions that go in my red tote bag so if we find a red notion lying around we know where it belongs.

I also use a hand-me-down quirk from my Gram. As a child I would spend hours in her sewing room, watching her sew and playing on the floor. She always said, and still does, that a good and proper sewing room always had three things in it--candy stashed somewhere, a button box and laughing children. I'm happy to say that this is a quirk that I stick to very closely, even though I'm dieting...it just means that DH and the kids visit more often to taste the new candy I've set out for them. :D
your place sounds like fun ! tools in different colors--what a stroke of genius. I always get to sew day without something because I used it--even though I have duplicates of all. colors would say to my brain that it belongs in a certain place. thanks !!!