Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just an observation... >

Just an observation...

Just an observation...

Old 03-12-2010, 02:48 PM

I always thought what you see in Vegas, stays in Vegas.
Harry
Old 03-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

I am my worst critic. It does help to see others make some of the same mistakes I do. And my kids lining up with fabric they bought and asking for more quilts helps me too.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:09 PM

In 1994, I made a wall hanging for my DH. I don't know if it was for his office, but that is where it has hung until this moment. It is the only quilt that I have hand quilted. Do not get your toes near it or you will be caught. :oops: That isn't the worse of it. Not knowing any better, I took a miniature pattern and blew it up on a copier. :shock: For all of the crazy choices that I made, it didn't turn out too bad. DH loves roses and this quilt is pieced flowers with lots of points. A few point, but 8 out of 10, are cut off or floating in the air. I have worked in the office with my DH for the last 10 yrs. I cringe everytime that I see it. I pray that our visitors know nothing about quilting. He will not let me take it down. After about five years, I told him that the wonderful Hancock Fabric that I used on the border was fading due to the lighting. I even held a piece of the original fabric up to it to prove it. He doesn't care. Nothing that I say will change his mind. I plan to make him another wall hanging that looks dimensional. My fear is that DH will just hang it next to the other one. I'm glad that he really liked it, but aaacccckkkkk.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:39 PM

The LQS is probably trying to sell that fabric line, pattern, the long-arm quilting services. Must be the model quilter is working so fast to get the model to the store in a timely manner, she's making mistakes!

We're all too hard on ourselves. Once it's on a bed or wrapped around a body, the points get lost anyways.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
well that makes me feel better! I look at some of the quilts posted here and then at mine and think "I shouldn't even be trying to say I'm a quilter!" Course I've only made 4 lap quilts and 1 twin quilt so far so I've got room for improvement. I know every single little mistake in my quilts though and think they must be glaringly obvious to anyone who sees them. I keep thinking about joining the guild here but I know they must all be so much better than me that's its intimidating.
I would join the guild. I'm sure that at least some of the quilter's there would have alot of experience and could give you some instruction, help and support. Who knows, if you joined the guild, maybe you'd intimidate them. Most of the quilters I have met are online, but they are a good, honest, generous and helpful bunch of people. I'm sure that the guild would be the same. At least go to one meeting and check it out. It couldn't hurt anything and It very well could be a decision that you'll be very glad you made.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:48 PM

I don't worry all that much about my points and such. I'm not perfect.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:32 PM

Good for your husband. Don't cringe if he puts the next one you make next to the old one. You can always make the comment that it just shows how much you have learned since you first started quilting.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:53 PM

I too have gone to quilt shops and have seen work I wouldn't put up for show......... I don't feel it helps the quilt shop to have things like that hanging.... No one is perfect but........... points should come out to points and things should be square. I have taken blocks apart for less then that. Try and get things as close to perfect as you can.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by scrap quilter
I too have gone to quilt shops and have seen work I wouldn't put up for show......... I don't feel it helps the quilt shop to have things like that hanging.... No one is perfect but........... points should come out to points and things should be square. I have taken blocks apart for less then that. Try and get things as close to perfect as you can.
I really try to get all my "points to come out to points" but sometimes I just can't get it accomplished. I get them as close to perfect as I can, but sometimes that's not enough I guess.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:54 PM

Go ahead and join the Guild. You'll enjoy the comraderie, and you'll find quilters who are more skilled than you are, and I'd be willing to bet there are also newbies who are less skilled than yourself. Everybody starts somewhere, and perfection isn't possible unless you've been doing this a loooonnnngggg time. I'm still on the newbie side of it, and felt too inadequate to join, but did. I've gotten so much out of it, including advice to help me be better. Don't deprive yourself of the opportunity.