Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just an observation... >

Just an observation...

Just an observation...

Old 03-12-2010, 08:05 PM

A few years ago I purchased Fons and Porters magazine for several months. I could not believe the mistakes I saw in the quilts they had pictured. Many times they would picture a quilt that had checked or striped material that was completely off, most likely from careless cutting. It really put me off on that magazine. Quilter's Home is another one that pictures quilts with really obvious mistakes.
I know I am beginning to sound like a perfectionist. I am when it comes to my work but I really am quite forgiving of other peoples work. It just seems though that a professional magazine would set the bar pretty high.
I have seen extraordinary quilts on this board, so pat yourselves on the back...you are better than the pattern testers that contribute to the magazines. :P :P :P
Old 03-12-2010, 09:30 PM

One of my new books (a K Fassett book) has a closeup of a quilt and it highlights an intersection that doesn't match up. That was not their intent; they were showing the fabric, but my eyes keep seeing that intersection. If it was mine, I would have redone that part, but that's just me. Guess it happens to everyone. It just comes down to one thing - can you live with it or not.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:05 PM

On my very first quilting project, I used a Jacob's Ladder pattern out of my Mom's book. Here's the picture of it, printed out in black and white. See the mistake! I couldn't leave my quilts made like that. (Hint--left side just below middle.) I sure wouldn't leave it like that if I knew that I was going to have a picture of it in a quilting book especially!

Can you find the mistake without reading my message first?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6805[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-6805.jpe  
Old 03-13-2010, 06:51 AM

Are you sure that is not a photo of mine? Ha! I did not use that bordor but I did make the same mistake. I only noticed it after I picked it up from the LAQ.
I made four of the same pattern for four of my grandsons. Same pattern - different fabric. They will never notice.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by cizzors
Went into a quilt shop in Vegas yesterday and was a little shocked.

All the finished quilts hanging on the walls had very obvious mistakes. Points that didn't match up big time, sashing that was off 1/8" to 1/4", etc.

I went home wondering why I'm so hard on myself. Now maybe I can get more done faster and pretty sure I can do better than them! I guess I just expected better pieced quilts when hanging in a shop for all to see.

I don't consider myself "the quilt police" but when I look thru a magazine I look for mistakes. not everyone gets those points 100% of the time.

Karen
:roll:
Old 03-13-2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
well that makes me feel better! I look at some of the quilts posted here and then at mine and think "I shouldn't even be trying to say I'm a quilter!" Course I've only made 4 lap quilts and 1 twin quilt so far so I've got room for improvement. I know every single little mistake in my quilts though and think they must be glaringly obvious to anyone who sees them. I keep thinking about joining the guild here but I know they must all be so much better than me that's its intimidating.
Please don't be intimidated! Guilds are wonderful places to learn and improve, or just get together with others who love to quilt. You'll find expertx as well as beginners. Our guild has members who don't even quilt - they just love to see and appreciate what others are doing! Just think of it this way - would you reject someone because they weren't as talented as you? Of course not - and neither will they! Have fun!
Old 03-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Suz

Several years ago, the leaders took our 4Hers to a quilt show in Harrisburg, PA. We had given then a worksheet for things to look for. Two kids were assigned to one teacher and as we walked thru the racks and racks of quilts that were being auctioned, you'd hear their critical comments, "the points are off", "the quilting stitches are awful", or "uneven", or "crooked", the color selection was bad, etc, etc.

Even though many had struggled with silimar problems, they recognized what they would achieve as they matured. As teachers, we recognized that they had been paying attention when we suggested that, "next time . . . .". Love those kids. Suz
Old 03-13-2010, 07:17 AM

I love mistakes in quilts. I would adopt every quilt with cut off points turned blocks or any other "problems". I don't strive for perfection in my quilts, I strive to finish them ( which .... welll..... I'm not doing so good on LOL). My theory is the day I make a perfect quilt is the day I will stop quilting, because where have I got to go after that? So it is my hope that I never make the perfect quilt as I never want to stop quilting!!! I know that some people don't want to see quilts with "mistakes" in a quilt store, but I personally would find it more depressing to see quilts that were perfection because I know I could never do that.

Rachel
Old 03-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Harry, checked out your website. You do make some nice looking quilting hoops!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:18 AM

Here goes my two cents. Having been quilting for more than 40 years I have had my share of mistakes. We all have to remember that fabric is not a stable medium. My husband is a machinist and works with 100's of an inch or smaller tolerances in metal. He actually has a small cooler he uses to transport parts across the shop so that they won't change temperture durring the 2 minute trip. If temperture can effect metal that much one can only imagine what happens to fabric. AT the recent Olympics races etc. were won by 100's of a second. If I worried about that kind of prescision I would still be on my first quilt.
I rely on the beauty of the fabric and the fact that it is "finished" as my main criteria for a quilt. Some days are better than others. If I served only "perfect" meals I would definately not have a weight problem.
There will always be members of quilds that are perfectionists. I have observed over the at least 25 years I have been a quild member that those people rarely finish anything.