Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
keeping quilts >

keeping quilts

keeping quilts

Old 09-22-2010, 02:37 PM

I have a lot of tops made, but haven't got them put together to send off to the quilter yet. As you all know its really expensive to have your tops machine quilted and then when you give it away, WHAT IF THEY DON'T REALLY LOVE IT!!??? That's the part I have trouble with. Quilts are quite color and pattern and mood specific. Perhaps you haven't captured their preferences and it doesn't fit in their home? It's easy to make baby quilts and quilts for kids, but to make a quilt for adults is another matter. They are usually very picky!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
i am feeling really really guilty and selfish - i just finished up a quilt top i was making for a gift and i just can't part with it. i really never make myself any quilts to keep but i really want to keep this one (it was also one that involved a lot of piece work etc). so - thinking of just making a dif one for my gift quilt. being selfish, huh? does anyone else ever do that?
Not selfish at all - you made it, after all! I keep ones where I love the the fabric, pattern, or have used a new technique. Or just because I want to! I have a pile of quilts to show classes different quilting designs, and quilts that I made just because I liked it. Unless someone has bought all the fabric for a quilt, you can keep anything - or everything - you want - guilt free! You don't owe ANYONE any apologies for keeping your quilts!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by JJs
Repeat after me: "it IS perfectly OK to keep a quilt that *I* made, with fabric that *I* paid for, using *MY* machines"....

Nobody even knows that you 'intended' that particular quilt for anyone else (unless you tell them) so why agonize over it... Just say, "I made this one for myself"...

(see how easy that is LOL)
I totally agree with JJs. No guilt necessary.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:33 PM

Don`t feel guilty. So easy to get attached to quilts. You made it. You deserve it. Eventually we have to let some go. I`ve given several as gifts, But still holding on to some. Bessie
Old 09-22-2010, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by bjesso
Don`t feel guilty. So easy to get attached to quilts. You made it. You deserve it. Eventually we have to let some go. I`ve given several as gifts, But still holding on to some. Bessie
Old 09-22-2010, 03:38 PM

Keep the quilt! Go to Wal Mart and get her a gift card. She will be so happy that u were kind enough to think of her at all.....plus maybe in a couple of years u can make her a baby or lap quilt :) If u need to rationalize, then winter is on the way...and it could be a very cold winter! brrrrr
Old 09-22-2010, 03:44 PM

and thinking about it again, there have been a metric ton of things over the years that I have made intentionally for myself but when done, it has CLEARLY been intended for someone else, unconsciously or by the Fate's design. matter of fact last time was about six weeks ago, I finished a shawl and realized about six rows into that it was for a friend of my daughter's!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:45 PM

I say keep it and make another one.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:53 PM

I have given away quilts and that is always hard. I made a quilt of dogwood, I painted the pink on the blossoms, I applicated the flowers and leaves and stems, made pillow shams to match and it was gorgeous. I made it with my niece in mind. When I gave her her graduation presents I was so disappointed!She wants to be an elementary school teacher so I got nice boxes from Office Depot, covered them with some really nice wrapping paper and filled them with teacher things. A parachute, some Little Golden Books, holiday decorations, 25 rolls of ribbon, 20 sponge brushes, bulletin board cutouts and paint and markers. I was so excited, I had been collecting this stuff for 4 years and I was so into this gift. My niece opened 3 boxes full of treasures and with no emotion said "thank you". I was crushed. I really put a lot of time and energy and creativity aand I knew if she responded to the quilt like that I would probably make a scene that would put Scarlett O'Hara to shame ! Yes my niece is quiltless and I refuse to feel guilty. I have taped to my refrigerator this saying and I believe it. "Sometimes it's okay to be selfish".
:roll: :roll: :roll: :(
Old 09-22-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
i am feeling really really guilty and selfish - i just finished up a quilt top i was making for a gift and i just can't part with it. i really never make myself any quilts to keep but i really want to keep this one (it was also one that involved a lot of piece work etc). so - thinking of just making a dif one for my gift quilt. being selfish, huh? does anyone else ever do that?

My new rule after reaching a certain age is that there are very few rules in life that really matter. (as long as they are legal & don't hurt anybody). You know what I mean.

If you want to keep it, keep it. In time, you may be ready to part with it but if you like it, KEEP it. You know you'll appreciate & love it more than anybody in the world.