Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keeping track of orders

Keeping track of orders

Living in a town with only two outlets for fabric and sewing items (JoAnns and Walmart) I've realized that for the majority of things ordering online is the way to go. And I do it more than I realize. Sometimes when my husband brings the mail in I'm surprised to get several orders in a day that have forgotten about. They can be anywhere from $5 at the lowest to $100 at the very highest. Of course the majority are paid by debit card from my own account, a few on credit card. There was a time when printing out receipts from my computer was the thing to do....but I think there were a few trees killed in the process.
    So how to keep track of what is ordered?? Yesterday a notebook was started so that each time an item is ordered, it's written down. Company name, item, order number and amount spent, debit or credit. When the items comes in, I'll put a check mark by it in the notebook. This allows me to see how much I've spent in a month/ or where a certain item is from should I need more.
    How to you keep track...or do you??

I print my receipts and keep them in a folder so I can refer back to in case I want to reorder or recall where I bought something
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

I keep the electronic notice in a folder in Gmail. When the item comes I delete the notice. I will occasionally go into that folder and delete stuff. The only ones I keep permanently are the ones that I may need to return due to a guarantee or something like that.

I glue the receipts in a notebook to track what I got where and try to post the picture of the fabric in a quilt. In theory, it works very well. But when the fabric stays in my stash forever before I use it, not so good. I scared myself in spending too much, so I quit pasting in the receipts! So now I just enjoy looking and organized my stash to use it first until I 'discover' another 'wow' pattern I want to make! Quilting Board and its ideals are additive!

I order a lot online also and I just keep the email confirmations I get.

The notebook sounds like a good idea for quick reference and a budget. But I also would print out the receipts. There might be some other information on the receipt that isn't noticeable at first. That you might need in case an order goes awry.

I get email confirmation and keep that until I get the order, then I delete it.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    I tend to write them on a yellow sticky. mainly to make sure i got the order.

I don't order much online but when I do-I print out the confirmation that is sent to me and I write all information needed on the slip and put the slip in a journal I have.

In my gmail account, I have a folder called "Orders Pending". I put the receipt I receive from the company there and any tracking info. I'll check the tracking to see where its at from time to time and if I have a number of orders, I'll write them down on a piece of scratch paper with the last 4 numbers of the tracking #. Then when I receive it, I'll move the receipt to the "receipt" folder in case I need to go back and check something. I have a folder for downloads also in case I need to go back and download it again. I think this is called "anal" by some folks but it keeps me on track.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
    In my gmail account, I have a folder called "Orders Pending". I put the receipt I receive from the company there and any tracking info. I'll check the tracking to see where its at from time to time and if I have a number of orders, I'll write them down on a piece of scratch paper with the last 4 numbers of the tracking #. Then when I receive it, I'll move the receipt to the "receipt" folder in case I need to go back and check something. I have a folder for downloads also in case I need to go back and download it again. I think this is called "anal" by some folks but it keeps me on track.
    Don't call me names! (lol), I do the same thing... jane

Power Poster
    I think keeping track is a good idea.

It was "easy" for me to spend "more than I realized" - when I actually took the time to track it - o u c h !

For years I have kept a small notebook by the computer where I list date ordered, company ordered from, order number, item and amount. When I receive the order I check it off. I do print out a copy of my receipt and save in a separate file so if I need to reorder I have what I would need. When I get my credit card bill I check off what items are on that bill and write "pd" over them.

I keep my order confirmations and shipping notifications in a folder in my email account. When the item arrives, I check to see that nothing has been backordered. If everything is there, then the email is deleted. If it's not, I keep the email "live".
    One thing - use your credit card for orders, not your debit card. There are fewer protections for debit cards and your account balance could be totally wiped out. With credit cards you're only liable for the first $50.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I keep a separate folder in my email account for orders and receipts

Lindaschipper. did you know that Muscatine has two real nice quilt shops? Neal's is on 2nd Street, downtown area, and The Little Red Hen House is on Hope Street. Google maybe to get directions?? They carry different fabrics, but brand names.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Blog Entries
    Spreadsheet. You can access free online ones with Google docs. Easy to use, easy to access on computer or smart phone, and no trees killed.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
    I print my receipts and keep them in a folder so I can refer back to in case I want to reorder or recall where I bought something
    This is what I do. I've done it for years and it hasn't failed me yet.

I thought about keeping them electronically, but then I'd have to have a folder and put them in order by date so that I could keep easier track and remember to delete them after. It just seemed like too much trouble when I can print them out on junk paper (used on one side) and then toss them after.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    Companies usually send an e-mail with a confirmation #. write this down with your order info. If there is any problem this number helps you. I think you have a good idea started. I like the more environmentally friendly way to keep records.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Hello grannie cheechee....yes, I am aware that Muscatine has fabric shops and have spent a fortune a at The Little Red Hen House on a couple of occasions. It is a very nice store and I love the wool section!! Haven't Been to Neal's.

I have a spread sheet in the computer, that I put the company name, item, price, and how much I got.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Using your debit card for online purchases can be risky. Keep a spreadsheet of your orders and delete as they come in.

I order all my shopping online. If awaiting a delivery I will put a post-it note on pc. And the order email is easily found in my email. After my cc was hacked twice I now do mostly paypal. Only very secure sites I use my cc.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    I order a lot online also and I just keep the email confirmations I get.
    This is how I do it too. No paperwork.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I have 2 folders on computer. When I order something, I put it in 'transit' file. Also the company's confirmation email and anything else they may send. Once received and checked, I move one of the emails (with the item info) to 'orders' file and delete the rest. That way I have a record of the item number and other important info in case I want to reorder it. And a quick look at the 'transit' file lets me know what it outstanding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast