Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keeping your cat off the ironing board >

Keeping your cat off the ironing board

Keeping your cat off the ironing board

Old 11-06-2010, 08:59 PM

My cats think the water bottle is a cat game. They love it.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by sewdarnbusy
I read somewhere that Cat's don't like aluminum foil. try covering your ironing board with aluminum foil. Once it jumps up there a couple of time and lands on aluminum foil, it may decide to stop trying.
Vineger is good for burns. Dip a wash cloth in Vinegar, and apply ice using the vinegar wash cloth between your skin and the ice pack. It takes a long time to stop the burning, but it works. I severly burned my finger on the waffle iron one morning just before a long car trip. I loaded the ice chest with ice and a bottle of vinegar. I grabbed a tiny 2 oz cup from my kids kitchen set. I put one ice cube in the cup with an ounce of vinegar. I soaked my finger in the cup until the ice melted. Then I dumped it out and refilled it with new vinegar and another ice cube and soaked it again until the ice melted. I kept it up for 4 hours, until we arrived at our vacation destination. The pain was completely gone. My finger was pruney, but the burning pain never returned. It works every time. For sunburns, you can soak in the bathtub with a gallon of vingar in the bath water. Soak as long as you can... the vinegar actually reverses the damage so that it doesn't continue to burn.
Thank you I did not know that. Gail
Old 11-07-2010, 01:19 PM

So much for a good idea. After I got done looking at all the posts, I went into the back and there was Pumpkin on the ironing board. :-P She knew I was gloating over how I had broke her of her habit. :lol:
Old 11-07-2010, 01:53 PM

The best way to keep the cat off the ironing board is not to have a cat. :lol: I have 4 dogs and thankfully dogs don't do those cat things.
Sorry you burned your arm.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:17 PM

My cat cured herself of her ironing board addiction. She would get get so close when I was using it that I would be worried about her jumping on it and burning me and her. I would take the iron with me with I had to leave the room. I had taken the iron into the kitchen to cool down and empty. She's scared of the hissing sound of the iron so she won't come near it. When I came in the doorway of my sewing room,she made her move and jumped on the ironing board. Since she's kinda hippy and well fed, the ironing board came over with her weight and the edge landed on her tail. She jumped back and looked at my poor ironing board as though it was defending itself and to this day(a year later) she will not go near it.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
The best way to keep the cat off the ironing board is not to have a cat. :lol: I have 4 dogs and thankfully dogs don't do those cat things.
Sorry you burned your arm.
My dog went ripping high speed through my sewing room and pulled the iron off the ironing board when she got caught up in the cord. I was in the other room and didn't know she had knocked the hot iron onto the floor. Now I have this dandy print of an iron in the flooring. My cat is my sewing buddy and I don't dare sew without him but he has never got on the ironing board.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:12 AM

Momymom's comment (p.1) about her hubby warming up the wide end of the ironing board for the cat while he ironed his shirt was curious to me. Does anyone else use the wide end of the ironing board for ironing shirts? It surely makes the job easier--and quicker.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:22 AM

Mine don't get on my ironing board, but they do like to help sew!!!!! Ugh! Two of my five (three are my kid's cats)insist on getting right between me and my needle! It drives me crazy! I hate putting them on the floor, but I can't get anything done otherwise! Cats DO want their own way!
Old 11-20-2010, 01:18 AM

I would either lock her out of the sewing room or put her in another room while you sew. There is also a drastic idea--it is let her burn herself just once( a slightly hot iron) she will not go near it again for fear of being burnt again.