Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keeping your cat off the ironing board >

Keeping your cat off the ironing board

Keeping your cat off the ironing board

Old 11-06-2010, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by katiebear1
I don't have cats now but when I did a squirt bottle was the best thing to use to train them .
Just read through the whole threas, Ignore my suggestion! LOL
Old 11-06-2010, 07:33 AM

The law of unintented consequences handed me my answer. I set up a new ironing board in my sewing room. It was three inches from the wall and it is lightweight. I was in bed about a week ago and I heard a loud bang. Pumpkin had jumped up on the board, it slammed into the wall, and scared her so bad she won't get near the board. I have also tried a spray bottle but it didn't work very well. I'm sorry you got burned. I hope it is healing well.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:42 AM

For Quilts with Convicts: I had to look to make sure my cat was still in the house. Your cat looks exactly like my Pumpkin who's 17. Loved the pictures.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:49 AM

My cats don't get on the ironing board, but they do get on my fabric while I'm trying to cut. I gave them a nice soft bed, which they rejected until I sprinkled it with dried catnip. Now they sleep there when they're in the room with me.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:19 AM

Sorry to hear about you nasty burn, hope it heals quickly. As for your cat, when you bring them in to your home, they take that litterly, it is their home. Sometimes like children, if they get by with it one time, they think it is OK. I am lucky, my cat has never tried the ironing board, nor the cutting/sewing table, she stays on the floor right by my chair. Hope you are successful in breaking her.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

My cat does not go up on my ironing board, maybe because it is set up in small hall way off of my sewing room which leads to the 3rd floor.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:51 AM

I haven't had a cat in decades, but enjoyed reading all the helpful tips. I do have a year old shih tzu who has cat-like behaviors. This was a first for us, but the breeder told me that it was not unusual. We use the spray bottle technique occasionally. We've put a little white vinegar in the water and he hates the vinegar odor left on his fur.Stream or spray, hitching the bottle to a pocket, or the warning OhOh has corraled his wanderlust for certain areas. I know Chief would have been up on the ironing board if a chair had been left nearby! DH says Chief is nosey, I say he is inquisitive and we both say we love him :-)
Old 11-06-2010, 12:53 PM

I have never had to fight mine over the ironing board, but he did get on the table once, i swatted him with a piece of newspaper as i would one of the dogs and he never tries it anymore
Old 11-06-2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
I have been working today on making quilted pillows and things were going a long quite well. My cat always hangs around the ironing board. I don't let her on it and today she jumped up on it I went to shew her off as I never let her on the ironing board and the iron fell on my arm and I got a nasty burn. What do you do to keep your cat off the ironing board?
OUCH!

I've got dogs that don't like electrical cords and don't like all the stuff I have around when I quilt. So they never create a problem-----------except when I cut off their access to the couch.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:11 PM

Sorry about your burn. Hope it is
healing by now. I don't have any
animals inside so can't help with that.
Our cat doesn't like it inside. Only
when the weather is too cold. Then he
tolerates the utility room. LOL