Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keeping your ruler steady

Keeping your ruler steady

I use to have so much trouble cutting a perfect strip. My ruler always moved at the other end even if I was walking my hand as I cut. Donna of Jordan Fabrics puts a 5 lb weight on the other end of her ruler to hold it in place. I've been doing this for a week now and boy does it make a difference. :-)

I have been using Quilters' Select rulers and they are wonderful. The first one that was purchased was the 6 X 24 - great ruler. The long ones do not kick out when you are cutting to the opposite end of the folded fabric. They are wonderful - I plan to add a couple other sizes to my ruler collection. Hope you can find one and give a try.

Sounds good but I have a lot of rulers so replacing them would be expensive. The weight does the trick. :-)

Thanks so much for this tip. I have had the same trouble many times.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Thanks Gail. Mine cuts have always been awful on the far end away from me. I am going to try the 5 pound weight. Now, I wonder which can I have that equals close to 5 pounds? I could always use sugar but I really don't want to have it spill in sewing room. "smile"
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Gail -

I picked up that same tip from them and it makes a big difference. Good on you for posting it!

Barb -

Since my parents go to all the estate/yard sales in the area I had them looking for weights for me, but my wife and I were at a close out store (think Big Lots but a local store) and they had some for I think $2 so I bought one. It was a great investment. Just be sure you get the kind that are coated with plastic or silicone.

Darren

I use fabric grips that I put on the underside of my rulers. Works like a charm!!!
    Family is a priority, not a convenience!
    Take time to be friendly... It's the road to happiness.
    Take time to give... It is too short a day to be selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by goldsberry921 View Post
    I use fabric grips that I put on the underside of my rulers. Works like a charm!!!
    I use the the Guidelines for Quilting strip grips. They work great!
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Quote Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
    Thanks Gail. Mine cuts have always been awful on the far end away from me. I am going to try the 5 pound weight. Now, I wonder which can I have that equals close to 5 pounds? I could always use sugar but I really don't want to have it spill in sewing room. "smile"
    I got mine at Walmart - only $5.94. After trying it I wouldn't get anything lighter. As for the strips etc on the ruler I have too many rulers I would have to get them for.:-)

Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    Me, too. I wouldn't even try to use a ruler without them.

https://www.guidelines4quilting.com/...ant=8648021893
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    I’ve used a couple of large, heavy weight cans from my pantry. Don’t know their actual weight but they do the trick.

Blog Entries
    How come we can quilt for years and sometimes such a simple idea has us "now why didn't think of that before?"

I've been using the 5lb weight since I saw a video a couple of weeks ago. It makes a huge difference! Thanks for posting this tip so that others can benefit.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I still somehow manage to make my ruler slip even with the 5lb weight on the end. I'm just talented that way.

But it has drastically reduced the number of slippages I've had and if I slow down then I can reduce it even more. I wonder if I work on a lower surface where I'm more over my work if I could reduce the slippage even more. It's so frustrating to ruin good fabric.

I agree with cenpaqltr that the Quilters Select rulers have greatly reduced the slippage I have with my rulers.

Thank you for that great tip. I have seen Donna of Jordan Fabrics use a 5 lb. weight a couple of times but have not tried it yet. Might have to make a trip to the 2nd hand gym equipment store.

Blog Entries
    I found a clear non-slip grip tape and use a 1/4" inch of it VERTICALLY down the side of my ruler from top to bottom just inside the 1/4" mark.

I may be OK with 5lbs for one or 2 cuts but not as a general use. Using the Slidelock on top of your ruler is really great, too. BTW,they were invented in Australia and they were made to press down on top of the ruler, not to replace it. Try it!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I too saw the 5lb weight on a video and have been using and have certainly noticed the difference

Two ways I improved (immensely) rotary cutting skills. The first was to change the height of my table, it was too high and I was stretching my arm awkwardly to reach the end of the ruler, even if I moved my left arm up the ruler. The second was to purchase a 3M sanding block (about $8 from Lowes') which is made out of a lightweight plastic and has a handle that raises my hand up and away from the cutting blade (safety first) and also a wingnut attaching screw on each end of the board. The board is 3 1/4" wide, perfect size. I attached a strip of kitchen drawer liner (sort of sticky) to the bottom of the sanding board and each end of the strip is attached from the top by the wingnut. I use the board to hold my ruler and I can move it higher up on the ruler if I need to without any slippage or movement of the ruler.

I use a Quilter's Slidelock on the top of my ruler. It isn't moving a smidgen. I bought it for safety but it holds the ruler to the mat like a magnet.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    I use these too. Really like them.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Would be easier to use the weights for cutting than to use as intended. LOL
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    Would be easier to use the weights for cutting than to use as intended. LOL
    For me, it would go with the exercise bike I use to lay strips on so they won't wrinkle ;-). Gotta use these exercise thingies for something! Wouldn't want them gathering dust.
    Last edited by TeresaA; 10-11-2018 at 08:12 PM.
    Nobody ever went wrong with kindness.

Me too! It is so helpful, as are all of the things that she does!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gailpe2018 View Post
    I use to have so much trouble cutting a perfect strip. My ruler always moved at the other end even if I was walking my hand as I cut. Donna of Jordan Fabrics puts a 5 lb weight on the other end of her ruler to hold it in place. I've been doing this for a week now and boy does it make a difference. :-)
    I did not want to purchase 5# weights before I tried this technique. I used my 2# weight and this also works great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast