Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keepsake Fabric Quality >

Keepsake Fabric Quality

Keepsake Fabric Quality

Old 01-11-2010, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Keepsake Quilting (local to me, too) also has an unconditional guarantee on anything you purchase from them. If you are not happy, for any reason at any time, send it back to them (insured and prepaid) for a refund or exchange. There's a return form on every packing slip. The Keepsake Quilting store opened in the late 70's in response to the renewed interest in quilting.

I don't know for sure, but I'd bet JoAnn's called their fabric brand 'keepsake' in order to take advantage of Keepsake Quilting's reputation. And FYI, there is also no relationship between Hancock's of Paducah (sellers of only high quality, name brand fabrics) and Hancock Fabrics (the chain of craft and store brand goods).
Ditto on Keepsake Quilting being local to me, about 1.5 hrs north of here. The crap in Joann's is NOT the same fabric sold at Keepsake Quilting! I also think it's Joann's attempt to capitalize on someone else's reputation. When I walk around Keepsake, like most people, I feel the fabric. It all feels wonderful and, having bought many yards over the years from them, it is really high quality stuff.

I should also warn everyone that it is not easy to escape from this shop once you enter! After you recover from sensory overload, you now have to decide what is coming home. It's so bad, they have comfortable chairs on their expansive porch for DHs and significant others to wait it out. Happily, there is a Duncan Donuts(?) nearby for DHs to get coffee. They need it!

I've also had experience with returning something that I didn't think was up to their standards. In this case, it was not the quality of the fabric, which was fine, it was the measurements of a charm pack (10" squares?) I'd ordered thru their catalog. The blocks were off just a bit and not square. In this case, I brought the charm pack back to the shop and, no quarrel, they immediately refunded my money! This was the one and only time I've had a problem; they stood by their guarantee! Interestingly enough, that particular charm pack was not offerred again in the next catalog; I'm guessing one of their suppliers got a slap upside the head.

One last note... I was at Joann's a couple of days ago. All of their fat quarters were gone! Or, at least I thought so because the small plastic squares they use to display them near the fabric bolts were all gone. Turns out, all the FQs were in a cardboard box on their cutting counter, marked way down, to get rid of them. Perhaps you heard that their latest FQs were cut just short of a true FQ. Joann's is in the process of getting another FQ supplier. Should be interesting to see how this new vendor will work out.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Totally different fabric!!! Keepsake quilting is a quilt shop. They do not make their own fabrics, they sell the top quilting brands such as Hoffman, Kaufman, Moda, etc.
Keepsake quilting fabrics you see at JoAnns is not, I repeat, NOT near the quality of what you find at the Shop. It is not the same thing. Consider Keepsake quilting catalog like your local Quilt Shop, not fabric store.
I agree.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Keepsake Quilting (local to me, too) also has an unconditional guarantee on anything you purchase from them. If you are not happy, for any reason at any time, send it back to them (insured and prepaid) for a refund or exchange. There's a return form on every packing slip. The Keepsake Quilting store opened in the late 70's in response to the renewed interest in quilting.

I don't know for sure, but I'd bet JoAnn's called their fabric brand 'keepsake' in order to take advantage of Keepsake Quilting's reputation. And FYI, there is also no relationship between Hancock's of Paducah (sellers of only high quality, name brand fabrics) and Hancock Fabrics (the chain of craft and store brand goods).
Ditto on Keepsake Quilting being local to me, about 1.5 hrs north of here. The crap in Joann's is NOT the same fabric sold at Keepsake Quilting! I also think it's Joann's attempt to capitalize on someone else's reputation. When I walk around Keepsake, like most people, I feel the fabric. It all feels wonderful and, having bought many yards over the years from them, it is really high quality stuff.

I should also warn everyone that it is not easy to escape from this shop once you enter! After you recover from sensory overload, you now have to decide what is coming home. It's so bad, they have comfortable chairs on their expansive porch for DHs and significant others to wait it out. Happily, there is a Duncan Donuts(?) nearby for DHs to get coffee. They need it!

I've also had experience with returning something that I didn't think was up to their standards. In this case, it was not the quality of the fabric, which was fine, it was the measurements of a charm pack (10" squares?) I'd ordered thru their catalog. The blocks were off just a bit and not square. In this case, I brought the charm pack back to the shop and, no quarrel, they immediately refunded my money! This was the one and only time I've had a problem; they stood by their guarantee! Interestingly enough, that particular charm pack was not offerred again in the next catalog; I'm guessing one of their suppliers got a slap upside the head.

One last note... I was at Joann's a couple of days ago. All of their fat quarters were gone! Or, at least I thought so because the small plastic squares they use to display them near the fabric bolts were all gone. Turns out, all the FQs were in a cardboard box on their cutting counter, marked way down, to get rid of them. Perhaps you heard that their latest FQs were cut just short of a true FQ. Joann's is in the process of getting another FQ supplier. Should be interesting to see how this new vendor will work out.
thanks for all the info.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by dgmoby
Having said that, I am in no way commenting on this brand of fabric - only on paid ads that write statements for people to repeat :) You just have to try things for yourself.

I haven't tried any because I have enough here locally that are in the show-worthy and/or and economical range. I don't find a bargain by the time shipping and handling is paid...but I do live where I can get these items, and many people don't. I have heard many pro's and con's about this particular fabric, and personally don't know what to believe. If you like the pattern, you can try a FQ and see what you think. And let us know!
Keepsake Quilting is NOT a brand. That's the whole point. It is a store, a Local Quilt Shop to some of us, same as anyone else's LQS. It just happens to sell mail order as well as in person. There is NO Keepsake Quilting fabric, they sell no fabric with their name on it, NONE.

Keepsake Calico is a brand name of fabric sold at JoAnn's Fabrics and Crafts. It is NOT sold at Keepsake Quilting, never has been and never will be.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

I'm so glad to read this, I'll be ordering from them now. :D
Old 01-11-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I'm so glad to read this, I'll be ordering from them now. :D
Me, too! I'm glad I asked the question. I've always been under the impression that the Keepsake calico at Joann's was made by Keepsake Quilting of NH. Since Joann's Keepsake calico is mostly see-through and generally disappointing, I could not bring myself to order any of the yummy-looking fabrics that are shown in the catalog. But now I can! That's really good news and I appreciate the clarification. (You lucky gals who live near the store!) I also always thought that Hancock's of Paducah and Hancock Fabrics were affiliated.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:08 AM

Keepsake Quilting is one of the few places I ordered from when we had no lqs here. Their fabrics are wonderful. They also offer a club you can join that gives you discounts on fabric, books, and shipping.

FYI, there is also no relationship between Hancock's of Paducah (sellers of only high quality, name brand fabrics) and Hancock Fabrics (the chain of craft and store brand goods).
Thanks for this info. I had avoided looking into Hancock's of Paducah because I thought they were related to the chain. My loss, I am sure.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:31 AM

I have been to Keepsake Quilting several times, even though it is an over night trip for me. It is the best, highest quality, and I have ordered from their catalog too. You won't go wrong with them . Marge
Old 01-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

I read an article that the two owners of Hancocks got in tiff over business, one stayed Hancock's of Paducah the other formed Hancock's Fabrics. Hancock's of Paducah is far superior in customer service and quality of goods.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 AM

I am hoping to clarify the issue of Keepsake Quilting fabric quality. A customer of Keepsake Quilting was kind enough to alert me to the confusion regarding Keepsake Calico fabric at Jo-Anns.

Keepsake Quilting has NO relationship with Jo-Ann fabric and - in fact - Keepsake Quilting has tried to get Jo-Ann fabrics from NOT using the "Keepsake Calico" name.

The real Keepsake Quilting (the website/catalog company) sells nothing but the highest quality fabrics. We are so confident in what we sell that we have a "no quibble" lifetime guarantee! For any reason at anytime an unsatisfied customer can return fabric they bought from Keepsake Quilting.