Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keepsake Trip >

Keepsake Trip

Keepsake Trip

Old 04-23-2011, 03:27 AM

I live in NH and my favorite
"Treat yourself outing, is going to Keepsake"
The ride is beautiful anytime of the year. The shop is big, but I always plan on having a magical dream day, while shopping.
The fabric is of great quality and although a little costly, it's great.
DH comes and brings a book or the newspaper and sits on the porch in a chair with all the other DH who are patiently waiting.
I go 2 to 3 times a year. Spend hours and find everyone more than helpful.
Then there's the back room with sale material. Love that one.

Every year they also have their tent sale...Great and crowded.
If times permits we go out to eat. Otherwise we eat when we can. The lake is across the highway and DH's can sit and enjoy the view...

My favorite place to go
Old 04-23-2011, 04:30 AM

On our first visit to KQ we were so overwhelmed by the amount of fabric. We had never seen so much in one place at one time. When we went the second time we knew what to expect so made much better choices. I had wanted something in the catalog that was not in the store so they ordered it for me and shipped it to my home for free.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:39 AM

I remember my first time of going into a regular quilt shop. Can't remember the name of it, but it was a an old two story house in Dahlonega, GA. VERY nice people, very nice shop. The problem... I was just getting into quilting and had no idea what I was interested in, what type of fabric, what type of pattern, nothing... They just let me wander around. I ended up buying a magazine and a couple of thimbles. Don't know what I'd do if I ever got to go to someplace like Keepsake. I'd make sure I either had a little money, or I'd pull out that charge card though!

I don't have any quilt shops anywhere near me. There is one now on the other side of Macon (35 miles or so) that I have yet to visit. I would LOVE to have a little local shop where I'd feel comfortable enough to visit, spend time, ask questions. Guess that's why I spend so much time here... Y'all are my quilting source!
Old 04-23-2011, 04:57 AM

Having moved from NH, Keepsake was one of my favorite spots. You need to plan a day right there in Meredith and Center Harbor to do a store like this. There is so much to see and it can get very frustrating to be that kid in the candy store. I haven't been there for about 6 years but I do miss the character of the old store and the wonderful ladies who happy to chat and help you make decisions instead of getting your money into the register faster. Now I have an independent sewing store here in Florida that is very much like that.....packed with everything a seamstress can dream up. There is one wall of nations that has to be 50' long. Any notion you can think of is there as well as all the different fabric departments. Since it's an hour away I don't go at the drop of a gallon of gas anymore so I plan to get there early and start at the very beginning, taking notes as I go. I leave for lunch at Panera and then go back to see the rest of the store before I gather up all my purchases. If you're going to Keepsake, hop over to Meredith and have lunch at one of the four Inns at the Falls (my sister's SO owns them), enjoy the lake and have a wonderful day. I agree with BellaBoo, it's very disappointing to have someone with you who isn't like-minded. I have learned I'm sometimes the best company for myself on trips like this.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Oh, I would LOVE to go there some time!
Me Too!
Old 04-23-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Oh, I would LOVE to go there some time!
Me Too!
Old 04-23-2011, 05:40 AM

I've only visited once and found it overwhelming. I was there for several hours and still couldn't find my way around the store. My lesson from that is that I need to go back a few more times! Definitely worth the visit. And the setting is something to see. Lake Winnipesaukee is huge and is right across the street from the store.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by cackie88
Go to www.keepsakequilting.com and you can sign up for their catalog and e-mail. Been there and love it, they even have rocking chairs on their poarch and the men love it. When we were there they had quilts, a contest I think, hanging from the ceiling - so beautiful. A definate must visit for a quilter.
There is a grocery store just around the corner. Once I arrived hungry and tired and one of the clerks advised: buy some lunch stuff, relax in a chair on the porch a little while, and then come in and shop!
Those gals are all sweethearts, that put up with an amazing variety of people all day every day. They will do their best to help shoppers, because they are very nice people, but like anybody, find it hard to keep smiling at snootypoos!
Keepsake's store really isn't very large, but it is like shopping in a welcoming home!
Now, that I no longer live in NH, I find they are really helpfull on the phone, and...on the internet.
I advise you to sign up for their catalogs too, but everything in them is on the internet.
Jeannie P
Old 04-23-2011, 06:58 AM

Never been to KQ, but I feel that way about Fabric Depot in Portland. Too big and overwhelming to be enjoyed. I can't look at that much stuff without getting lost and confused.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
Never been to KQ, but I feel that way about Fabric Depot in Portland. Too big and overwhelming to be enjoyed. I can't look at that much stuff without getting lost and confused.
I just loved the Fabric Depot. When I lived in OR it was my place to go if I needed any type of fabric. Their sales are always great and I would always find what I needed there.