Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kid friendly Machine???

Well, I remember making my first dress when I was 8 years old - on a treadle machine - way back then. I don't recall when my daughters began sewing - but early in life. I dear lady gave me a great little machine - I have several others - like Bernina and others but this one is light and great to take to quilt guild. It's Kenmore, Mini Ultra - look for deals on the internet. I agree with you - don't buy a child's toy machine - but a REAL MACHINE that can be used and used.
    Blessings, Dorothy

I think you are better off with an inexpensive full size sewing machine - I hopefully will have this problem in about 8-10 yrs when my granddaughter is this age. I hope, I hope

Blog Entries
    I bought a White at WalMart for $89.00. Does a great straight stitch and is very basic.

I started sewing when I was 8 on my mother's Singer. You do need to give instructions on cutting and the sewing machine needle, but if she is interest let her try. I didn't hurt myself sewing until I was 54. So age doesn't make a different. You can go to Harbor Freight and buy pane glass carrying suction cups for your rulers. This will be like a handle on the ruller that will keep her fingers way away from the blade. Rotary cutting would be the only thing I would worry about.

I taught my niece and nephew to sew when they were about 8. They were well supervised and didn't lose any fingers. My nephew was actually better at it than my niece, so I think it really depends on how comfortable you will be letting her use your machine and spreading her wings. Good luck and have fun with your daughter doing something together you both enjoy.

One of my grandaughters started at about 2yrs old sewing on my lap. She loved it so much that she continued sewing on my lap until about 5yrs old. Then I sat next to her and controlled the foot pedal but she controlled the material. I taught her to use scissors, and little pieces of fabric to sew off onto to controlling the thread just as I do. Before long she wanted to use the foot pedal as well. Somewhere I read to roll up a sock and stuff in between the footpedal so she could press down very far, as well as taping the pedal to a small stool so she could reach it. She sewed that entire summer that way and when she turned 6 she was tall enough for me to take the pedal off the stool and also lose the sock controlling the amount she could press down. She did great ! She is very responsible and can't wait till we live closer so she can sew more often. I say as many have already done---buy her a full size machine--or let her use yours. My dear Emily has always sewn on my expensive Pfaff and I have never regretted letting her do so.

My daughter started at nine, and honestly I just let her sew on a regular machine with supervision, of course. I learned on a regular machine a d see no reason for a special one for kids.

Most of the Janome machines have a speed control that controls how fast you can go even with the "pedal to the metal".
    I have 3 granddaughters that I have started on a full size machine. I set the control to "turtle" and they can't go too fast even if they press all the way down!
    The oldest was about 8 when she started and her sister was 6. They both worked on a Janome Jem Gold that I had bought for their mom.
    The youngest sister was 5 when I started her on my Janome 11000. (Get the feeling I like Janomes?) She just zipped along sewing strips together.
    I wouldn't invest in a mini machine. They would outgrow it too fast.

I taught my daughter to sew on my regular Bernina (which has a slower-speed switch) when she was 5 years old. My mother taught me at 7 years (on doll clothes!) with a wood block in the foot pedal to keep the machine from going too fast, and her mother taught her when she was in kindergarten.
    Guess it's just a family tradition!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CloverPatch
    My eldest daughter(Anna 13) uses my maching an ellure plus.
    I have a soon to be 8 yr old (Eimly) that is interested in what Im doing. I waited till Anna was 12 before I let her sew, and it was on a Singer from the 70's.

My old Singer, has issues.
    I have read on here about how some of you are letting your girls about Emilys age sew already and that they do well.
    She wants to sew, and I am attaching her "quilt" that she taped together from my scraps.
    My question is there a kid friendly machine that works well?
    I have seen the Hello Kitty ones, but I worry that I am paying for the license on the character and not getting a quality machine.
    Part of me is scared to death to let her quilt. What if she loses a finger! LOL I know, overbearing. But I don't want to miss this oppurtunity to catch her while she is really interested in this hobby.
    I think the problem is more with the grandmother than the child. My DGD started sewing with her own machine when she was 5. It is a Viking Viva, an $800 machine I got for $500. She is now 12 and can do anything with it. My other DGDs are 10 and 6 and also sew. I even let them use my expensive machines with little worry that they can hurt themselves or the machine. You just have to show them how to "drive" it and not get their fingers under the presser foot.

Blog Entries
    My granddaughters all sewed on my Bernina when they were about eight years old. All they need is GOOD instruction. The main thing to tell them is to keep their fingers away from the needle and not to watch the needle as it will keep going up and down but watch the area about an inch in front of the needle. Let her sew with you watching and see if she is paying enough attention to your instructions. If so, get her busy sewing strips for a quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    My eldest daughter(Anna 13) uses my maching an ellure plus.
    I have a soon to be 8 yr old (Eimly) that is interested in what Im doing. I waited till Anna was 12 before I let her sew, and it was on a Singer from the 70's.

My old Singer, has issues.
    I have read on here about how some of you are letting your girls about Emilys age sew already and that they do well.
    She wants to sew, and I am attaching her "quilt" that she taped together from my scraps.
    My question is there a kid friendly machine that works well?
    I have seen the Hello Kitty ones, but I worry that I am paying for the license on the character and not getting a quality machine.
    Part of me is scared to death to let her quilt. What if she loses a finger! LOL I know, overbearing. But I don't want to miss this oppurtunity to catch her while she is really interested in this hobby.
    I think the problem is more with the grandmother than the child. My DGD started sewing with her own machine when she was 5. It is a Viking Viva, an $800 machine I got for $500. She is now 12 and can do anything with it. My other DGDs are 10 and 6 and also sew. I even let them use my expensive machines with little worry that they can hurt themselves or the machine. You just have to show them how to "drive" it and not get their fingers under the presser foot.
    Sorry, daughter not granddaughter.

BabyLock has some beginner level machines. Check with your dealer. And if you bought your Ellure from them you may get a deal.

Senior Member Crazy Quiltin Robin's Avatar
    Go yard saleing and find her a dependable old singer or brother or kenmore I try to keep an old brother around for my little girl friends to sew on ..... they love it ........

I know of no one who has lost a finger in a sewing machine. I, as well as every one I know have sewn my finger at least once. After the first time, it is usually not repeated! Get a basic, good quality machine that is easy to thread. A used singer or something refurbed off of Overstock.com would be affordable, and can be passed on or taken along when one of them leaves home. Encourage the arts at every age.

I just found MY Emily (8 yrs. old) a Brother LS2125, an inexpensive, very simple Brother model, at a yard sale for $25. Her older sister has one very similar Brother that her other grandmother bought for her a couple of Christmases ago for about $60 new. They are perfect for beginners.

Blog Entries
    I started sewing on a Singer treadle machine and could make anything. My father bought my mother a White electric machine and I ALWAYS had problems with that machine which turned me off of sewing until I was about 12 years old. At school we had really good machines (for that time) and I developed a love of sewing. All that is to say...junk machines kill the desire to sew. Buy something good, reliable and easy to use with options that can grow with the sewer's interests. Good Luck and RELAX when you are teaching her!

If you have a real (not toy) sewing machine that is simple, like a vintage Singer, that would be perfect for your kids to use. Let them sew! I taught my kids how to use my Bernina 830 Record when they were like 6 and 8. They loved to sew little squares and put rice in them to make some beanbags to play with. My daughter made little blankets for her Beanie Babies.

if you could get a machine with a second gear, it will slow machine down even if her foot stomps peddle ....

How about a Bernette? They are very basic Bernina's. I saw a couple of ladies using them in a class the other day and they were very nice. One of them was $150.00 and you get free classes with it for a year.

Blog Entries
    Since you're in Clarksville, can you catch the thrift shops around Ft Campbell? It's almost Army moving season and a lot of families don't small things like sewing machines with them. Just a thought. Also, if you're military, the PX/BX carries Brother's for under $100 that are nice machines for beginners.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    Since you're in Clarksville, can you catch the thrift shops around Ft Campbell? It's almost Army moving season and a lot of families don't small things like sewing machines with them. Just a thought. Also, if you're military, the PX/BX carries Brother's for under $100 that are nice machines for beginners.
    I didn't even think about the PX. Trying to recall if ours carries machines. Some else suggest pawn shops, poking in there. I just don't know much of anything about machines. I had an old Singer from the 70's, and sewed on that till 2 yrs ago. I had a Brother for a brief, far be it brief time. Given to me broke, I fixed and gave it my sister, hated how the bobbin was sideways.
    I havn't heard of most of these machines, I have been looking them up online as I go.

Emmah, love the sinking boat in your avatar!

My DGD (4-1/2) loves to work with fabric and uses my Janome. Our deal for now is she can either run the foot pedal, or feed the fabric through the machine, but not both at the same time, so I get to 'help' her with her projects. Once she's got a little more control of both we can change the arrangement.

Great thread, everyone has such good suggestions! I think this little girl of mine needs a machine for her next birthday....

Blog Entries

I didn't even think about the PX. Trying to recall if ours carries machines. Some else suggest pawn shops, poking in there.
    You have a Class C PX. Yours carries machines. Ours at Ft Leavenworth does so will yours there. Good luck.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast