Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kids and wanting to make a quilt "This is Funny" >

Kids and wanting to make a quilt "This is Funny"

Kids and wanting to make a quilt "This is Funny"

Old 08-31-2010, 12:08 AM

Gotta love kids!!!! : )

That quilt is a keeper!!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:59 PM

That is funny but how old is that 'lil stinker'? She should have used construction paper, LOL.

warm quilt hugs, sue in Ca
Old 09-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Banned

Oh that is so funny, I would be laughing to. God bless. children are so wonderful.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by wraez
That is funny but how old is that 'lil stinker'? She should have used construction paper, LOL.

warm quilt hugs, sue in Ca
The fabric was more intriguing. I must tell you about our son and our neighbor. They were about 4 years old when I was in the kitchen busily preparing lunch. They were in the living room very quiet. Occasionally I'd see one of them come to the dining area to get one of the chairs. In my mind they were building a "tent." They often pulled chairs around and draped a quilt or blanket over them to form a tent. Then they hauled all of their toys under and played. When I went in to check on them (I waited too long>>>) they had used DH's phillip screwdrivers to remove all of the seats and backs. Then they had punched holes in the vinyl to make a "design." OMGsh. At that time there was no money to buy another set, or even have these repaired, but we had to do the latter. I gave both of them a couple of swats on the butt and brought the neighbor home. I told HER mother about what had happened. At almost 46 , he is still using screwdrivers. He's a mechanic!

:lol:
Old 09-01-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by irenecarter
My grand daughter decided that she wanted to learn to use my sewing machine. So I sat her down , taught her to thread the machine, and how to sew a seam. She was using scrap material, but when she made a wide seam and then made it the regular size, I proceeded to try to teach her how to use the seam ripper, and to reinforce the idea that she needed to repair any mistakes she made as she went. I went into the other room for more material while she was ripping out. When I returned she was throwing it in the trash. I asked her why, She replied, " Grandma it's only scrap material, and it needed to be in the trash,." " But I was trying to teach you how to use a seam ripper, and repair your mistakes," I replied. She said," I did learn how to fix it.. I put it in the trash."
Also, such a cute story!

Wouldn't we all be in a mess if we tried to fix all of our mistakes like that! I would quickly run out of money replacing my fabric if I threw out into the trash every mistake I made!
Old 09-02-2010, 05:09 AM
lgc

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
My Granddaughter has been staying with us for few days before she goes back to school. Well....I was working on a quilt and she was asking lots and lots of questions about it. She is a bit hyper and sometimes she gets into things she is not sapose to do. She anounced that she wants to be a quilter to. She couldn't understand why I cut the fabric up and then sew it back together and I just told her quilts are sapose to be colorful so I cut different blocks so the quilt is pretty. She had this look in her eyes that I knew something was stewing in her little brain. Her Mom picked her up and few days later I got a call from my Daughter in law all upset with me for telling her about sewing. I ask her why she was so upset with me I thought it was a good thing! Well the little stinker took out all the wash clothes and towels from the bath room closet and snuck them into her room......she cut them all up and used tape instead of sewing to make a quilt for her Mom. Well......I am still gigling about it but have to buy a new set of towels for my daughter in law.
I hope she saves the pieces for the two of you to sew together next time she stays with you. What a great beach blanket it would make.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:57 PM

I teach children to sew. One of my students took out her mom's rags from under the sink and hand sewed them together. She was just 7 at the time. Her folks thought they had better put her in a sewing class. Well, I am the lucky teacher. I was present when she was awarded a $25 check from our local quilting guild I belong to. Katie had pieced, and free motioned quilted her first quilt at age 8 and it also won a big ribbon at the fair. She has made several since and donated them to the Humane Society. I say get that girl into lessons and enable that desire with tools and fabric.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:33 PM

snt that just gorgeous, you have to laugh. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: