Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Kindle Quilting Magazines >
  • Kindle Quilting Magazines

• Kindle Quilting Magazines

Old 10-05-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg
    I have no problem downloading them to my Nook Color.
    I'm wondering, after reading through part of this thread, can you print from the emags when you get them for you NookColor? I have one but have never bought the emags.
    That would definately influence my decision to buy them.
    Old 10-05-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    I like the hard copy mags because as I read the pattern, if I am interested in doing it, I will make notes for myself...like if I want to make larger, change size of blocks, colors, etc......or if there is something I want to cut out for whatever reason, I can do that and put it on my bulletin board (boy, doesn't that make me a dinosaur!)
    I don't own a kindle, and personally don't want one...question: can one somehow make thes kinds of things on that electronic thing????
    I don't know about the Kindle, but on the NookColor you can highlight things, make notes to yourself, etc. At least you can on books so I'm assuming you can on emags, also.
    Old 10-05-2011, 05:52 PM

Hi
    Love my Kindle, but no idea about quilt magazines on it.

I do read my Fons and Porter on my iPad digitally, and know there are others that are digital.

That new Kindle Fire looks really cool, but think I am done with tech toys for now.....got a few Apple toys!

Bev
    Old 10-07-2011, 07:37 AM

Do not want a Kindle.
    Im an avid reader and get most of my books at the used book store.
    With this machine you are stuck with whatever they want to charge for a book. No thanks.
    I much prefer a hard copy so I can pass it around to the family and friends.
    Somethings should not be electronic, books are to important to become something that could dissapear when something new and more advanced comes along. Take eight tracks and now cassetts.
    Old 10-07-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    Do not want a Kindle.
    With this machine you are stuck with whatever they want to charge for a book. No thanks.
    Somethings should not be electronic, books are to important to become something that could dissapear when something new and more advanced comes along. Take eight tracks and now cassetts.
    I can't speak for others, but I love my NookColor and I love my books, too. I thought it would be very difficult to adjust to reading electronically but it isn't--for me it is sometimes easier, like when I read in bed at night. Not all of us have access to book stores. A book is it's content--it is what you read, not how you read it! Your brain doesn't care how the words got there, just that they made it.
    Old 10-07-2011, 08:19 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    Do not want a Kindle.

??? The music on the eight tracks and cassettes didn't disappear, every song is still available to listen to. Every movie on VHS is still available to see. They are in different formats that's all. Same with books, they are being offered in a different format.
    Old 10-07-2011, 08:25 AM
    crt

I've had my Kindle for about a month and love it. I have several books on it already, and almost all of them were free. The couple that I've paid for haven't been more than $1.99. I absolutly love mine. I have discovered several authors that I wouldn't have read before because of the free books. I then checked on some of their other books, and most of them were around 2.99. I had doubts about whether I'd like it, but have been nothing but happy with it.
    Old 10-07-2011, 08:34 AM
    RST

Rose Marie -- I would have agreed with most of the things you list about why I didn't want a Kindle -- until my DH went and got me one as a surprise.

I read a lot-- I still have paper books, but I find I prefer reading on the Kindle, both because it's easily portable and light to hold, no pages to flip, and best of all, the print size can be increased, so I don't have to admit I might need reading glasses (at least not yet).

I rarely pay anything at all for books. Many, many books are free, either as a promotional, or because they are public domain (I read a lot of older, "classics"). I also get library books on my Kindle, or get loaners from family members who also own Kindles. So I have over a thousand books on my Kindle account, and I've paid far less than I would have, even at garage sale prices. Best of all, my shelves are not cluttered with books. I still have a lot of book shelves, because I love books, but I only have the ones I truly do treasure, and I can enjoy them more because they aren't lost in the crush of other stuff. (Plus, more room for fabric stash ; )

Sharing with family is far easier with Kindles -- you can have 6 accounts (people) reading a book at the same time within your own household. This is amazing and great when a new book comes out and all the kids want to read it at the same time-- which happens a lot at our house. Two of my sons have laptops with Kindle accounts, so they can read on those. My DH read kindle books on his phone. I have a Kindle2, plus my phone. Beyond that, I can also loan a book to my sister who lives across the country, just by a click of a button. When she's done, it's back on my kindle, with no fuss over mailing it or remembering who borrowed it or what her kids might have scribbled on the cover.

Finally, the books won't disappear like 8 tracks or cassettes-- at least not until both Amazon and your own computer files do. They exist in your Amazon account, or on the cloud, so if your kindle is lost, stolen, or obsolete, it's not a big deal -- all the books are still immediately available. Statistically, the chances of your house burning down with all the books in it is a greater risk than losing them all to some computer catastrophe.

I admit that ebooks may not be for everyone, but it's really a good idea to dismiss something knowing how it works and what it is, not just conceptually. I thought I would miss paper and ink and the texture of the pages, and the cover art. Honestly, I don't, for most books.

Let's just put it this way. I went from really, really *not* wanting a kindle (about 3 years ago) to saying that if it were a showdown between my dishwasher and my kindle as the most important gadget in the house, the kindle would win-- all in the space of about 24 hours.

RST
    Old 10-07-2011, 08:38 AM

I know it would be loved but it still bothers me to put the future on an electronic. Technology can disappear in a flash.
    Nice to know some books are inexpensive.
    Some of my books I keep as very special, one is an import from England, a very loved book about a cat called Abandoned.
    Another is a book about a walk about in Australia called Mutant Message Down Under.
    How do You find out which books you want to download without shelves to search thru?
    Sounds like a pad would be the best way to go for printouts of patterns.
    Old 10-07-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by RST
    Rose Marie -- I would have agreed with most of the things you list about why I didn't want a Kindle -- until my DH went and got me one as a surprise.

I read a lot-- I still have paper books, but I find I prefer reading on the Kindle, both because it's easily portable and light to hold, no pages to flip, and best of all, the print size can be increased, so I don't have to admit I might need reading glasses (at least not yet).

I rarely pay anything at all for books. Many, many books are free, either as a promotional, or because they are public domain (I read a lot of older, "classics"). I also get library books on my Kindle, or get loaners from family members who also own Kindles. So I have over a thousand books on my Kindle account, and I've paid far less than I would have, even at garage sale prices. Best of all, my shelves are not cluttered with books. I still have a lot of book shelves, because I love books, but I only have the ones I truly do treasure, and I can enjoy them more because they aren't lost in the crush of other stuff. (Plus, more room for fabric stash ; )

Sharing with family is far easier with Kindles -- you can have 6 accounts (people) reading a book at the same time within your own household. This is amazing and great when a new book comes out and all the kids want to read it at the same time-- which happens a lot at our house. Two of my sons have laptops with Kindle accounts, so they can read on those. My DH read kindle books on his phone. I have a Kindle2, plus my phone. Beyond that, I can also loan a book to my sister who lives across the country, just by a click of a button. When she's done, it's back on my kindle, with no fuss over mailing it or remembering who borrowed it or what her kids might have scribbled on the cover.

Finally, the books won't disappear like 8 tracks or cassettes-- at least not until both Amazon and your own computer files do. They exist in your Amazon account, or on the cloud, so if your kindle is lost, stolen, or obsolete, it's not a big deal -- all the books are still immediately available. Statistically, the chances of your house burning down with all the books in it is a greater risk than losing them all to some computer catastrophe.

I admit that ebooks may not be for everyone, but it's really a good idea to dismiss something knowing how it works and what it is, not just conceptually. I thought I would miss paper and ink and the texture of the pages, and the cover art. Honestly, I don't, for most books.

Let's just put it this way. I went from really, really *not* wanting a kindle (about 3 years ago) to saying that if it were a showdown between my dishwasher and my kindle as the most important gadget in the house, the kindle would win-- all in the space of about 24 hours.

RST
    Well said!