Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Kits or not to kits?

Thank you all for your opinions and suggestions. All very good advice.

I love buying kits because I'm terrible about selecting fabrics.

I'm a fabricaholic and the choosing of the fabrics is the fun part for me, so kits don't really satisfy my need to find the perfect fabric for the project. And besides, I rarely actually do mine like anybody's set of instructions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Apple Quilts
    I have bought kits from Connecting Threads and Keepsake.... always been happy with the quality, so therefore, I trust them. I think that if you try one and like it, then brand loyalty may make you feel more comfortable. The best thing about kits is that it removes all of the decision making from the process! Some people like that, and others would rather choose the fabrics themselves.
    When you buy a quilt kit and you make a mistake (which I have been known to do, do they give you extra fabric so that you can correct your mistake? And, if they don't, do they carry the fabric that you made the mistake with?

That is one of the reasons I have never bought a kit, for anything! I usually buy 1/2 to one yard extra and if I don't make any cutting mistakes, it is my reward for doing a good job! (more for the stash)! Edie

I did a paper doll kit from Fons and porter. Was on back order and took about 7-8 weeks to get it. The fabric was excellent quality but I found you had to really cut careful or there wasn't enough fabric. I try to be careful when buying kits although they are beautiful.

I have one kit. Still in the package. So... I guess I'm not one to give advice.lol

Blog Entries
    I have bought many kits over the years. Usually while traveling and stopping at various shops along the way. I have always found the quality of the fabric excellent. One thing I've noticed though....either they give you generous cuts or cuts that are down to the inch. Once I had to call a shop 1200 miles away and request more fabric that was short. They were very nice and did it but it's something to watch. If you wait to long (like I have a tendency to do), they may not have any more of that fabric.

I'm not a kit person. I will buy FQ collections or something like that, but not fabric and pattern together. I did do one kit early on that I saw in Keepsake Quilting because it was going to a friend as a thank you and was perfect, but I was disappointed in it. It had a patterned fabric that I would have fussy cut but couldn't because there wasn't enough. The catalog image however had the pattern centered like I would have done.

Blog Entries
    The photo of the quilt in my profile is from a kit. Three of the fabrics (colors) are my own fabrics. I cut wrong and had to substitute. I liked mine better. Now it is an original. Quilting teaches you a lot!

one of my lqs makes up a kit for every quilt they have on display... got one for my mother.. the pattern is called afternoon delite & it did get it pieced on an afternoon & i was delighted.

the backing fabric was short.. so i called them.. that fabric is gone, got kona black & used that, still waiting for the owner of lqs to call & advise what they will do to make it right (she is out of town indefinately.. family emergency) so we will see...

but, either way i'm thrilled with the quilt & my mom will be too.. and it is really nice to be able to recreate the sample they have hanging, because that particular one said "MOM" right when i laid eyes on it.

Blog Entries
    Hubby picked one out once because he liked the colors. I wasn't really paying attention and told him to add it to the pile of stuff I was buying. I wished I'd looked at it better. Several of the fabrics were the same very small scale print in different colors. I made the top, but it's very blah. I worked out the dimensions carefully and was able to get enough out of the backing to add borders to the front to add some larger print to it. Still looks blah to me. I put it aside and someday will pick it up again and add some applique to bring it back to life. But for now, it's at the bottom of the pile.

I like to select my own fabrics and mix up the scale/colors more than I see in some kits.

Since I'm just beginning to quilt, kits have been my salvation. As a newbie, I don't have a huge stash-YET!- so kits allow me to do a complete quilt with only having to buy the backing. I live in the mountains and it's at least 60-90 minutes of driving to get anywhere that sells fabric. So stash building in person has been tough. I shop the internet a lot. Someone else mentioned Fabric Cafe- I love their little kits! I've learned a lot making them without having to invest too much money. And now I have the patterns, so when I do get to an LQS, I know I can buy 3 one-yard pieces of fabric that catches my eye and will be able to make a quilt.

I have bo't many kits from companies advertising in quilting magazines and have never had a complaint. Any fabric sub has always been very close to the original. I have bo't a couple of Judy Niemeyer foundation kits and have been very satisfied. Some people are more particular than other people also. You sort of have to be willing to go with the flow when you buy a kit.

Blog Entries
    If I can purchase the right size, I will buy a kit if one is available that I like. Otherwise I make my own kit then set together.

One of my friends always buys kits, says she doesn't know how to pick fabric. Its not so, as the times she has picked her own fabric for a project, it is beautiful. She just likes having everything she needs in a package.
    I rarely use a kit, because picking the fabric is the part I love the best. Its a personal preference. If you enjoy doing kits, do it. If not--pick your own fabrics. Both ways are perfectly correct. No quilt police here. grin

Quote Originally Posted by Monstookie
    How does everyone feel about buying quilt kits? Good or bad? If good....are there favorite shops/sites you like. I think I've always been nervous about the quality of fabric...etc. But I have seen some pretty ones listed on the web.
    I always have kits around here...it is nice to occassionally have everything laid out for you. Sometimes I want an entire line but don't want to buy yardage that get separated.

I like kits - sometimes they have just the right combination of materials - I have sworn off of BOMs because sometimes they change fabrics plus they seem to be more expensive

Blog Entries
    I make my own from my stash.when I feel the need for a change from sewing or needleturn applique. I will maybe cut kits out for several days. The problem is as I get near the finish of a project I want to take out another kit and start on it . Have to make myself behave and finish this one first. lol

I have been quilting for 40 years and have never order a kit.
    I want a quilt I made to be 'mine', not like hundreds of other quilts because it was made from a kit. This is probably a personal preference. I want to choose the fabrics for quality reasons as well as the colors and design. To me this is the most challenging aspect of quilt making. I also think it is cheaper than ordering a kit. Happy Quilting either way you decide to go.

I like quilts. i have done three of them already. the one i am working on now has really bright colors in it. it is called fatty 2x4

When I first started quilting I lived in Scotland and not a friendly quilter in 100s of miles so I learned on-line, I found a fantastic forum and one of them members put my first couple of quilts in kit form for me, pre-cut, this was my first one:

I know I would never have become a quilter if is wasn't for that lovely lady and her pre-cut kits as I hadn't a clue about cutting :shock:

Now I get tempted by Kits but won't buy as most are not pre-cut and I can't see the point in buying one that is not :twisted:

Senior Member Candy Apple Quilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sewingladydi
    I haven't yet, but I've seen several cute things at Connecting Threads so I may soon try one of those.
    I figure their prices are so reasonable, it worth trying without making a big investment.
    I just finished one from Connecting Threads for a customer. She bought the kit called Hooterville. It has owls and trees, and was intended for hand-applique. Not having the time to do all of the hand-applique, we digitized the owl and tree into machine embroidery files, and she whipped it out in just a few evenings. (I'm working with the designer now to make those machine embroidery files available to the public...). Anyway, the hooping for the machine required extra fabric, and I was a little concerned about whether the kit would include enough. No need to have worried though, she made it with a bit to spare!

As soon as I can post pictures of the finished quilt on my blog, I'll let you all know (should be tomorrow), but for now I will see if I can attach one or two here.

Close-up of an owl
    Name:  Attachment-81587.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  93.4 KB

Close-up of the tree
    Name:  Attachment-81854.jpe
Views: 53
Size:  73.3 KB

i bought a kit from Keepsake Quilts years ago. It was nice quality - no problems and actually had extra pieces, so that was good. The only downside - it was a Bear Paw and there were sooo many triangles i had to piece LOL! These days people have come up with so many shortcuts to do that kind of piecing it makes sewing triangles together less painful.

Blog Entries
    I bought a kit from Connecting Threads and there was ample fabric. In fact I order two kits the same pattern and now I have enought fabric for a third quilt, which is free.

I often by kits, make the design using the provided fabric and then duplicate the kit with colors and designs that I have in my stash. One kit can result in many different quilts. Connecting Threads, Keepsake Quilting - just a few of my favorite sites. I also order from many on-line stores that kit the fabrics from known fabric designers. Have never been disappointed. On-line stores have been very willing to help with any problems - whether with the fabric or the directions. I say - go for it with kits.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast