Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Knit Fabric >

Knit Fabric

Knit Fabric

Old 05-02-2018, 08:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Fleece is a knit, and I have used that several times. With fleece, I found that using batting with the fleece makes it quilt/look much better. I have used a thick cotton knit as backing on one quilt as well.

It was quilted on a long arm/frame. I found that I had to place the backing on the frame so that my machine would be primarily sewing in the least stretchy direction. It seems to me that a very thin knit would be difficult to work with, though.

I wonder how those knits would work as a batting? The top and the backing would secure it once it is quilted.
I used fleece on a baby quilt a couple of weeks ago and put the back on as you suggested. I had very little stretching. I used no batting and could tell that it would have benefited from something in between, but it was what I call a utility quilt. Maybe I should have used a piece of single knit in between.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

T shirt quilts are knits, and there are tons of those being made. I agree with cutting square or rectangular shapes only, and back the knit with the appropriate interfacing... such as French Fuse tricot interfacing is used for T shirts.

Using it for a backing sounds like a good idea, as the quilt front will help stabilize it. I'd spray baste it well, to forego the need for interfacing in this application.

I've made many receiving blankets from simple big squares of knits, sewn around the edges and then "birthed" right side out. Then I topstitch about 1/4" from the edges, all around. Just two layers of knits makes a nice, stretchy blanket, great for swaddling.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:16 AM

I inherited a bunch of knit blocks, sewn in a nine patch and four patch. Our neighbor has a grandchild with MS learning to sew, so I donated them to her. Knits are fun to sew, no fraying or unraveling of threads andand the 1/4 seam works great. Yes, they stretch on a bias cut and a slight zig zag stitch will work then. Love to work with them. they tend to 'stick' to one another like cotton when sewing two together. Or you can serge them together for a quick throw quilt. You have a great treasure to work with in knits. Of course, I am of the older generation that appreciates them and loves them.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:52 AM

I just finished 7 lap quilts made with 6 inch polyester squares that were headed to the dumpster. Someone gave me the box full. I used some knit fabric that I had for the backs and they turned out great. A local church makes lots of quilts and uses anything they are given. I've given them lots of large pieces of knit that someone brought to our group sew. They were all headed to the dumpster if I didn't take them.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:03 AM

I am keeping mine and want someday to make rugs out of the knit. I don't know how to do this?