Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
know of sure way to get rid of heavy smoker's smoke in fabric? >

know of sure way to get rid of heavy smoker's smoke in fabric?

know of sure way to get rid of heavy smoker's smoke in fabric?

Old 07-19-2014, 11:28 PM
Administrator

ammonia in the laundry water will also remove the ciggie smell.
about a half cup per full load usually does the trick.

it confuses and amuses me that it works, since ammonia itself smells so awful.
but there's no trace of that odor, either, afterward.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
Wash it in borax and put some white vinegar in the wash and rinse. This usually takes care of most everything that smells. Drying it outside is a bonus and will only help it more. I would go for it if it's cheap or free! Most everything can be salvaged.
I agree with the Borax. I have used it for years with smelly clothes. It is the only thing I have found to take out strong odors.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:17 AM

I hung it outside a couple of days. I had to bring it in a couple of times because of rain but overall I would say it was at least 2 days. My test of how long to leave it was to bring it in and let it sit and then smell it. I also touched an iron to a piece because if the smell was still there the heat was going to bring it out.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:16 AM

I'm with Lori s......
Old 07-20-2014, 04:18 AM

I've done the wash with vinegar, added extra wash and rinse cycles. Also used oxi-clean, both worked great.
Good luck,
Kif
Old 07-20-2014, 05:05 AM

Ammonia in the wash water - either clear or sudsy type will work. Ammonia is the quickest, easiest, and least expensive, thing to remove nicotine . It breaks down the sticky residue and removes it along with the cigarette smell. It will not harm your colors or weaken your fabric as would happen with repeated washings using other methods that may not be 100% effective. It will not leave any smell in your fabric and as a bonus, it will clear any soap residue out of the pump and lines of your washing machine leaving it fresh smelling.
If the cigarette smell is heavy use 1 cup in the wash and don't over crowd the washer.

Last edited by Mitch's mom; 07-20-2014 at 05:09 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:17 AM

As an ex-smoker, normal washing will do it. Also, leaving it outside in the fresh air either before washing it or letting it air dry after washing it is a good idea. After I stopped smoking, I never found the smell to be a permanent thing, and I would not let that stop you from taking the fabric. If there's a lot of fabric, keeping it in bags until you can get to washing and drying all of it will cut down on the smell, plus putting in a couple of Downy fabric sheets. It will help.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:35 AM

I had a similar opportunity a couple of years ago. The smell of smoke was overwhelming and it was right in the midst of Christmas bustle. I left the bulk of fabric in the garage as I washed loads of fabric (grouped by color, on hot with regular laundry detergent, not too crowded). DH quickly made me an advanced Christmas present of oversized ironing boards and we ironed miles of fabric using Best Press while watching Christmas movies. I was thrilled to have enhanced my stash and DH was glad to have solved the "gift challenge" for that year. I also got a bunch of books as part of the same opportunity and they had to air in the attic for about 6 mo before I could the smoke. Go for it--you will be glad you did (if you like the fabric)
Old 07-20-2014, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

Wash it with a cup of Oda-Ban in the washer.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:40 AM

I was given musty smelly fabrics and i googled to get the correct ways to do it but it was something like put the fabrics in the machine with laundry soap, a cup of vinegar fill the machine with water , agitate a little then let set for and hour or more. If the process had to be repeated then use the water and vinegar only the 2nd time......it worked......good luck......