Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kona Cotton Questions >

Kona Cotton Questions

Kona Cotton Questions

Old 12-09-2014, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend View Post
AND, Kona is a registered trademark, so if it says "Kona", it's made by Robert Kaufman.
That was my original thought, but all this yeah and nay has clouded my thought.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

To those questioning JoAnns Kona. They have two other brands of solids that get mixed in with the Kona. Their Kona does say Robert Kaufmann and is the real deal. They just don't have a broad selection of colors. I've purchased it for years and would buy nothing but.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:56 AM

Aye, Joann's Kona is the real deal, assuming a sloppy storekeeper hasn't wound the wrong fabric onto the wrong bolt. I have (literally) put samples under a microscope and through washes and I can't see, feel, scrub, bleach or otherwise detect any difference between Kona purchased from Joanns, Fabric.com & a LQS. Plus Kauffman says they don't do 2nds...I've never found a slub or anything wrong with any Kona from Joann's so that sounds likely to me.

Although at my local stores, they recently jumped up their Kona from 7.99 a yard to 8.99 a yard, making it not such a great deal even with a 40% off coupon. And the selection is even worse than ever, I feel lucky if there are 4 or 5 Kona colors on the shelf. I wish Joann's would stop their weird "overpriced but use a coupon and it's reasonable" pricing schemes and would just price things reasonably right from the start. I would shop there more.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by sewnoma View Post
aye, joann's kona is the real deal, assuming a sloppy storekeeper hasn't wound the wrong fabric onto the wrong bolt. I have (literally) put samples under a microscope and through washes and i can't see, feel, scrub, bleach or otherwise detect any difference between kona purchased from joanns, fabric.com & a lqs. Plus kauffman says they don't do 2nds...i've never found a slub or anything wrong with any kona from joann's so that sounds likely to me.

Although at my local stores, they recently jumped up their kona from 7.99 a yard to 8.99 a yard, making it not such a great deal even with a 40% off coupon. And the selection is even worse than ever, i feel lucky if there are 4 or 5 kona colors on the shelf. I wish joann's would stop their weird "overpriced but use a coupon and it's reasonable" pricing schemes and would just price things reasonably right from the start. I would shop there more.

very well said, sewnoma!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I wish Joann's would stop their weird "overpriced but use a coupon and it's reasonable" pricing schemes and would just price things reasonably right from the start. I would shop there more.

I agree 100%!