Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kona cotton >

Kona cotton

Kona cotton

Old 07-30-2017, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
thanks for the link and pointing out that if it does not have the official company branding, it may be another product just using the Kona name... i've seen this before... one has to shop carefully.
From the article by Kaufman, it appears that "Kona" is a registered name that Kaufman uses. Or am I not reading that correctly?
Old 07-30-2017, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

Many JoAnnes stores do not hire quilters or even people who sew to work their fabric departments. I have personally witnessed an employee at JoAnnes put a non kona solid on a bolt marked Kona. To the non-sewing employee a solid fabric is a solid and there is no difference. They simply see the same color. I quit shopping JoAnnes for fabric a long time ago. Mostly because the quality of their "keepsake" quilting cotton lines do not hold up. It fades and goes threadbare much quicker then name-brand fabrics, at least in my experience. Their other quilting cottons are no cheaper and in many cases more expensive than the LQS or on line sources. I have also noticed that their "regular" price for notions, batting, etc is very inflated compared to other sources (on line or local). I attribute this to their regular practice of offering 40 to 60% off coupons. They will still make their profit margin even if you use a 60% off coupon. Occasionally you can get a great deal there but for the most part I can find the same prices elsewhere without the hassle of a coupon. JMHO.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Many JoAnnes stores do not hire quilters or even people who sew to work their fabric departments. I have personally witnessed an employee at JoAnnes put a non kona solid on a bolt marked Kona. To the non-sewing employee a solid fabric is a solid and there is no difference. They simply see the same color. I quit shopping JoAnnes for fabric a long time ago. Mostly because the quality of their "keepsake" quilting cotton lines do not hold up. It fades and goes threadbare much quicker then name-brand fabrics, at least in my experience. Their other quilting cottons are no cheaper and in many cases more expensive than the LQS or on line sources. I have also noticed that their "regular" price for notions, batting, etc is very inflated compared to other sources (on line or local). I attribute this to their regular practice of offering 40 to 60% off coupons. They will still make their profit margin even if you use a 60% off coupon. Occasionally you can get a great deal there but for the most part I can find the same prices elsewhere without the hassle of a coupon. JMHO.
I totally agree. You've touched on all the reasons why I don't shop there. The only thing I get from them is Fusiboo (fusible batting) online when they offer free shipping. They don't carry it in the store near me.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
From the article by Kaufman, it appears that "Kona" is a registered name that Kaufman uses. Or am I not reading that correctly?
yes, that's true, but there have been other discussions here that say that others use the word Kona
Old 07-30-2017, 02:31 PM

I seem to be using more solids now then before. I buy mine by the 15 yard bolt from Fabric.com. The end of the bolt does say Robert Kaufman. I buy the Kona snow for $4.34 a yard. 1 bolt will get you free shipping.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dingle View Post
I seem to be using more solids now then before. I buy mine by the 15 yard bolt from Fabric.com. The end of the bolt does say Robert Kaufman. I buy the Kona snow for $4.34 a yard. 1 bolt will get you free shipping.
I love buying from fabric.com as well
Old 07-30-2017, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

Remember that there is a Kona Bay manufacturer. I think some people become confused by that name, and think that if a bolt says Kona it is all the same type of fabric. It is especially confusing for solid color fabrics. Because I like a certain quality in my solid color fabrics, I always make sure it is Kaufman (the manufacturer) Kona.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:50 PM

I am another that is not real crazy about Kauffman's kona because it's a stiffer heavier ravelly fabric than I like. The hobby lobby here carries his whole line and his name is on the end of the bolt. JoAnns seems to have improved on theirs; same price as HL. I also will use 60% for 5 yds. If I remember correctly, the analogy was given of KLEENEX brand name tissue becoming the generic word for tissue.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Remember that there is a Kona Bay manufacturer. I think some people become confused by that name, and think that if a bolt says Kona it is all the same type of fabric. It is especially confusing for solid color fabrics. Because I like a certain quality in my solid color fabrics, I always make sure it is Kaufman (the manufacturer) Kona.
Kona Bay was a brand and they ceased production.

Cari
Old 07-30-2017, 11:18 PM

I have been wondering the same thing, also.