Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kona cotton >

Kona cotton

Kona cotton

Old 07-31-2017, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Kona Bay was a brand and they ceased production.

Cari
That's too bad! I liked it better.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
That's too bad! I liked it better.
Kona Bay was Asian themed fabrics. Based in Hawaii. Are you sure that you are talking about this former
Manufacturer?

i don't consider Kona Cotton " heavy". Hmmmm

sandy
Old 07-31-2017, 02:54 AM

I am grateful for Joanns personally...making pet beds (or now the waterproof pads) means keeping costs low. They had Cozy solid flannels coupons, and I was able to get 8 yards for around $17 (that included tax). Will work fine for my purposes, pilling and all. I use their order online, pickup free...love this new service...keeps me from standing in line behind people getting hundreds of yards to my one yard.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:00 AM

I am grateful for Joann's too. As a Canadian that has to travel some distance to get to the US, I would pay $15.00/yard here. (plus 15% tax) where I can pay $7.99 a yard there (plus exchange) and get a MUCH bigger selection. I get coupons, too...so that helps with the exchange.

I noticed the other day the the Kona didn't seem to have much body to it, when I looked at buying it. Didn't end up getting any. Now I know why.

Watson

Last edited by Watson; 07-31-2017 at 04:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I am grateful for Joann's too. As a Canadian that has to travel some distance to get to the US, I would pay $15.00/yard here. (plus 15% tax) where I can pay $7.99 a yard there (plus exchange) and get a MUCH bigger selection. I get coupons, too...so that helps with the exchange.

I noticed the other day the the Kona didn't seem to have much body to it, when I looked at buying it. Didn't end up getting any. Now I know why.

Watson
I still miss Hancocks terribly...they had the most wonderful spot the bolt sales on home decor/heavier weight material (I have used it to cover my sofa cushions...lots of fabric used on that project). Looking online runs twenty or more a yard, and I use almost fifteen yards when I cover the chair too....That's pricey for a handmade project.

I keep waiting for the shoe to drop, and Joanns leaves...not a pretty thought in my opinion.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
yes, that's true, but there have been other discussions here that say that others use the word Kona
The post from Kaufman says they have never manufactured lesser grades of fabric, that all Kona cotton fabric is the same:

Robert Kaufman uses the same quality greige and dyes for all customers purchasing Kona Cotton Solids - all customers receive the same product. We have never produced a lesser grade of Kona for any customer...Millions of yards of Kona Cotton are produced and shipped throughout the U.S. and internationally. We are always striving to maintain the highest level of quality and provide the best product. We therefore ask you to bring to our attention any Kona Cotton that you feel does not live up to your expectations.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:10 AM

Kaufman Kona is the same no matter where you buy it. BUT, if you buy a Kona that does not say Kaufman, it will be different. Think of it as buying Sour Dough bread. No matter which one you buy, it will have the distinctive sour dough bread taste, but each brand will be different in taste or texture.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:37 AM

Oh my gosh, now I am so worried! I just ordered a bolt of "Kona" grey for the background of a quilt from Joanns online. The 39 other colors I purchased at my LQS. I'm going to make a king size quilt. If the quality isn't the same will I be able to return it?
Old 07-31-2017, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

SherB I'm sure you will be able to return it as long as you haven't used any.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:33 AM

No not the same .