Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kona cottons vs Moda solids? >

Kona cottons vs Moda solids?

Kona cottons vs Moda solids?

Old 04-14-2014, 10:39 AM

I prefer Moda - Kona solids are just too stiff!
Old 04-14-2014, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
And a note to Lucky about Kona PFD...it's chemical free. That's what makes it 'prepared for dyeing'. The absence of chemicals means it doesn't have the wrinkle inhibitors, softeners, insect repellants, formaldehyde, and other chemicals that standard quilting cottons (including Kona Solids) do. And that's why it seems more stiff and wrinkly to you. Hope that helps.
This is great info, thank you for posting this! I knew what "PFD" stood for but not what it really MEANT as far as how the fabric was treated.

Originally Posted by Karen Mc View Post
. BUT, did you know that there is a cotton fabric grown and made here in the U.S. American Made Brand (AMB) established in 20013 which is a division of Clothworks.
I have been seeing this lately! There's a short article about them in one of my quilting mags recently, and some quilt shop/guild/club or another just sent me an email talking about it. (Might have been American Quilters Society? In fact I think it was, because there was a member price that was $5-something.) I have a pretty huge stash of solids right now but I've bookmarked the site; next time I am in need of some solids I'm going to give them a try! I like the idea of buying American-made cotton and if it's of decent quality I'll start stashing it.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:55 PM

I am perplexed by the use of solids and for the life of me can't figure out how to use them ! Silly, I know.

One of the many sites I get e-mails from is Over the Rainbow; I have ordered from them and have been pleased. This weekend, I received an e-mail from them that led to some browsing and came upon this http://overrainbow.com/cgi-bin/Store...es=0&lastmenu= The colors are beautiful, and if I were in the market for solids, I'd certainly give them a try. Grown and manufactured in the US! Over the Rainbow is selling them for $5.95 (preorders).
Old 04-14-2014, 02:58 PM

Oops - meant to also mention I have purchased Kona white @ Joanns for a couple of projects that needed solid white (I can stretch that far, lol) and have had no problems with it at all. There isn't much fabric I buy there anymore, but this was fine.

As far as winding fabric on bolts, it's possible that they were combining partial bolts for the sake of saving room. They often have several partial bolts.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:38 PM

I just searched and the American made fabric is not sold within 200 miles of my house. The Kona sold at my JoAnns is not Kaufman. The quality isn't as good as Kaufman. I like the Kaufman kona solids. I can't say about the Moda because I haven't used them. I'm not sure the shops sell it here. I would like to try it.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:40 PM

It looks like a store local to me might carry the American brand. I might check it out in the morning to see if it's something I can use. I hope so.
Rodney
Old 04-14-2014, 06:11 PM

Kona cotton! I love it.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by star619 View Post
LD,
I wonder if a worker wound a cheaper white on a Kona board by mistake? I love Kona, &, if anything, I find it a bit thick (especially for fine appliqué ). And I have NEVER had any that was see-through!
Good luck! BTW, I've been quilting since 1978!
Maybe, maybe not. The LQS stores here sell RK Kona solids, and they are of thicker colorfast quality. The Hancock Fabrics store sells Kona, but no RK name on the label. They are thinner than worn out sheets, fray terribly, and the colors are not always even. I will stock up when there are sales at LQS, as I am always using them and I want fabric that will last and the 1/4" seams are still there when I start putting the blocks together. Fraying is annoying. We have even driven 70 miles to stock up on Moda solids as I prefer those.

Last edited by NanaCsews2; 04-14-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 PM

I much prefer the Moda Bella Solids. I have the color card for them, so handy when you want to match something!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:11 PM

i like them both, but i have definitely had more issues with the rk konas raveling.

aileen