Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kona cottons vs Moda solids? >

Kona cottons vs Moda solids?

Kona cottons vs Moda solids?

Old 04-15-2014, 04:37 AM

It all depends on where she bought the white Kona from. All Kona is not created equal.

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
This doesn't sound right unless it really changed over the last year or so. Actually it is a bit on the thick and heavy side which makes it sometimes not my favorite to use if I need small pieces.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:11 AM

there are American made solids.....I cannot remember who sent email....American Quilter' Society ???
Old 04-15-2014, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Oops - meant to also mention I have purchased Kona white @ Joanns for a couple of projects that needed solid white (I can stretch that far, lol) and have had no problems with it at all. There isn't much fabric I buy there anymore, but this was fine.

As far as winding fabric on bolts, it's possible that they were combining partial bolts for the sake of saving room. They often have several partial bolts.
You are obviously very kind hearted, but the bolt they were removing the fabric FROM was NOT Kaufman's Kona Solids while the one they were putting it ON was.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for posting this thread. I have been looking for some black fabric. Not sure where to purchase. Thanks for the link. I did go to Over the Rainbow and placed an order. I also found a small place in my county that sells, AMB fabric.
Her prices are more expensive. BrendaK
Old 04-15-2014, 10:53 AM

I am actually shocked that anyone would prefer Kona over Moda Bella. When I've needed solids I used Kona and wasn't thrilled and when I found Moda Bella at a quilt show I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. The hand and drape is so superior, but that is my opinion. Northcut has some new solids, but I haven't tried them. I bought my Kona at a quilt shop and they had a ton of colors and they were all thinner and just not as nice. I think you just need to get some samples of each and see the difference. I like when I talk about Moda Bella I am talking about one fabric line - the Kona name seems to have gotten hijacked and you have to be careful where you buy it, and the quality differs.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:06 AM

Default here's why I use solids for some things

[QUOTE=peaceandjoy;6675500]I am perplexed by the use of solids and for the life of me can't figure out how to use them ! Silly, I know.

The first quilt is scrappy Triple Irish Chain and the second quilt is my Ocean Waves, made with over 4,000 2" hst. Sometimes a busy quilt with some solids like these give the eyes a chance to rest. I, also use them to put embroidery into a quilt. Sometimes I make pillowcases in solids with quilted cuffs - shows off the quilting. I'm going to do that with the Ocean Waves quilt - make the body of the pillowcase black and put some hst in the cuff.
My icon is an example of using solids for embroiderey
Attached Thumbnails quilts-bobs-computer-036.jpg   049.jpg  
Old 04-15-2014, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
I need to order some solids. Is there a difference between Moda or Kona solids other than just a brand name?
My significant other is a hand-dyer, and uses nothing but Moda Bella Solids. The white fabric dyes beautifully and has a wonderful hand--very soft.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:23 PM

Over the years, I've use solids from many manufacturers. In addition to Kaufman's Kona Cotton Solids and Moda's Bella Solids, I've used Marcus Brothers Centennial Solids, Northcott's ColorWorks Premium Solids, P&B's Colorspectrum Solids, and RJR's Cotton Supreme Solids. I think the only major manufacturer I've missed is Michael Miller's Cotton Couture Solids and that's mostly because it's not carried locally for me while all the others are (I also think the collection name is just a bit snooty, but perhaps the fabric lives up to it).

The OP only asked about the Kaufman and Moda lines, but if I had to choose just two out of the six with which I have experience, they would be RJR and Marcus Brothers, in that order. Both have been exceptional in every way for me and are limited only by colors available (RJR has 150, Marcus has 58).
Old 04-15-2014, 03:13 PM

I use Kona but only by Robert Kauffman, sometimes it will state Kona but if the R trademark symbol is missing it is not by RK.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:51 PM

I prefer Kona solids. I don't think they fray as much when you are working with them..........
Just my opinion