Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LA Question.... >

LA Question....

LA Question....

Old 11-22-2017, 05:49 AM

Default LA Question....

Is it possible to load a partially quilted quilt that was done on a DSM and finish it (hopefully) on a LA? (Assuming I have enough backing all around.)

Watson
Old 11-22-2017, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

Yes it is possible but you could have some issues that would not arise if there were no quilting on it.

Some issues could be fullness in areas, not being able to load square and possibilities of puckering where the new quilting overlaps or crosses over the existing quilting. There is also a strong probability you will encounter no issues whatsoever.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

You shouldn't have a problem. I would start the long arm quilting where you ended the existing quilting and go out rather than quilting towards it. Also, if you are worried about the amount of backing, just take some long fabric scraps, piecing if needed, and using a really long stitch length, baste them to your backing fabric so you have enough to attach it to your frame. I've done this to cheat when I'm a bit short on backing (enough to back the quilt, but not enough to attach to the frame). I have some inexpensive muslin strips that I use for this.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:48 AM

I have never started on a DSM, but I have had to unload and change the direction on a quilt I started on my Nolting. It scared the heck out of me, but everything went very well. If you are free motion quilting, and have enough backing, I always have at least 3 to 5 inches on either side and at least 5 inches extra in overall length, I would think there shouldn't be any problems. Since you are moving it anyway, you could add some extra fabric if you need too.

My stitching is different on my Nolting than on my regular sewing machine, so if you are using a thread that will show up, you might consider that a problem. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless it is a super special quilt. Think Judy Neimeyer or Jacqueline de Jonge. Some long arms are much better at producing a stitch similar to a DSM...my older Nolting...born in 1997, and my not keeping my moving speed consistent, does produce a variance for me. I just don't sweat the small stuff, and that is small stuff to me.

Edited to add: Worse case scenario...you don't like what you see with the long arm (which I doubt will be the case) and have to do the frog stitch.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 11-22-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:22 PM

I finished a quilt for my sister's family that she had started to quilt on her Sitdown machine for her daughter. She was a new quilter and it was a cheater quilt top. She had gotten all of the ditching done around the blocks...56 of them, it was a queen sized quilt. She had managed to also quilt two of those blocks before she passed away suddenly. She had chosen a pattern of quilting that was all ruler work. I brought it home to quilt on my longarm as I knew it would be easier than trying to do that on a Sitdown machine. My sister had trimmed all the excess backing off even with the sashing, being a new quilter didn't realize she should have left it. Nevertheless, I basted right through the border sashing with scrap fabric,it was just an inch wide and mounted it to my leaders. Down the sides, as I advanced the quilt I pin basted a piece of fabric to each side of the quilt to have something to attach the side clamps to, removing and reattaching as i advanced, so i wouldn't stretch the border fabric out of whack. In spite of all that, it turned out to be a pretty quilt. Was it perfect? No, but the only real hiccups were a few pleats that happened on the backside that I bet no one will ever see and it got the quilt done ready to be gifted to her daughter, the intended recipient this Christmas. I left all of my sisters earlier quilting work intact, so that it still had her Mom's stitches in the quilt for my niece.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 11-23-2017, 02:47 AM

That's lovely!

Watson
Old 11-23-2017, 06:34 AM

That is beautiful!!! What a thoughtful thing you did too.

Dina
Old 11-23-2017, 02:08 PM

Kwiltr, My condolences regarding your sister. It's nice to share a hobby with a sibling. You certainly show that Watson's question can be answered with a 'yes'!
Old 11-23-2017, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by givio View Post
Kwiltr, My condolences regarding your sister. It's nice to share a hobby with a sibling. You certainly show that Watson's question can be answered with a 'yes'!
Thank you for your kindness. It was a tough one. I'd never had anything to do with a "cheater" quilt before and I have to say, I was quite impressed with how it quilted up!

Last edited by Kwiltr; 11-23-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
That is beautiful!!! What a thoughtful thing you did too.

Dina
Thank you Dina and Watson! It was a cathartic experience as well as a learning one doing up this quilt!