Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
label for nursing home? >

label for nursing home?

label for nursing home?

Old 08-28-2010, 07:51 PM

I refuse to give in to the PC police. "Merry Christmas" will be always be appropriate in my book, and I think the residents of a nursing home will not object to it either.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:11 PM

Most of those in the nursing homes would expect you to say "Merry Christmas".

Now if you are aware that someone is of a different background (Jewish for instance) and you made a quilt specifically for that person, then referring to their holiday (in this case Hannukah) would be the gracious thing to do.

You might ask the activity director of the nursing home if there are any residents who are Jewish or whatever and consider making one special just for them.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:02 PM

I'm sorry, but all this political correctness is a bunch of nonsense. If you're making a quilt for Christmas :D, why wouldn't you want to say either Merry Christmas or Have a Blessed Christmas? It's a gift from YOUR heart.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Power Poster

I agree that PC is a bunch of nonsense. The label should read whatever you feel is appropriate. For me it is Merry Christmas.
Thanks for your thoughts and kindness.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:45 AM

Okay I get all the responses!
I will do as I please.
Thankks Gale
Old 08-29-2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
The day I can't say Merry Christmas any more please just throw a quilt over me and cover me up!!!!!!!!!!!! I am never going to give in to 'Happy Holidays'.
I think they would love anything you put on the label. Thank you for doing quilts for them.
I totally agree!!!!!
Old 08-29-2010, 06:22 AM

I am sorry but the PC police are rediculious. I wasn't able to say happy easter on my door while I worked in a preschool. I actually had a few parents ask why I took the art work off the door and changed it for happy spring. I told them that I got in trouble for putting Happy Easter up on the door.
I say go with merry christmas or ask if there are any residents that celebrate a different holiday and you can make one special for them that says happy your holiday and if you can put their name on it all the better. You have to label label label with residents name on everything. My granny is in one and everything including her socks have her name on them.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by grma33
Our guild last year delivered over 300 xmas day. This year they need over 200 so since I had time and some orphan blocks I`m working on one but what to put on the label?
Would like to say happy holidays as I know Merry Christmas isn`t right any more or should I just leave this out and say
To A Very Special Person
My name and year?
Thanks Gale
Could you pleae tell me what size you are making these? I have been wanting to make some for our local nursing home with my stash but not sure what is the correct size. Do you make them to JUST fit a wheelchair, or something they can use on their bed? Keep up the great work you do! Oh yes, I like the "TO A VERY SPECIAL PERSON" idea - that covers all religions, but I would also put MERRY CHRISTMAS from - you name.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:05 AM

My daughter works in the nursing home that Mom was in{passed away Oct 2009} and Dad still there.
This is where the guid del last year. This year is 2 different smaller ones.
We don`t make for a certain person but I know all the quilts once del are labled with the persons name with very sticky tape you cannot get off!when they pass family keeps them or tells the nursing home to pass them on.
Wanted to donate Mom`s clothes but couldnt get the tape off and sec hand stores won`t take them.
Gale