Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Labyrink Walk pattern info

Labyrink Walk pattern info

A couple of suggestions for writing a pattern. Reading the list of fabric yardage required to make this project it has a numbered list. It would have been helpful to have read Fabric # 1, 2/3 yards Fabric # 2, etc. yep...I purchased 1 yard plus for #1, 2 yards plus for # 2, 3 yards plus for fabric 3. OMG! I will have more than enough to make this project multiple times! Gotta laugh.......my fault.

Also, the term is “selvage” not “salvage”. Doesn’t anyone proofread patterns? And, yes, this is the revised, Corrected pattern.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

That misuse of ‘salvage’ rather than the correct ‘selvedge’ gets me, too! I haven’t seen it in a written pattern but some YouTube videos I’ve watched have had the spoken error. As to misreading fabric amounts, that sounds like something I’d do. Well, it sounds like your stash just grew.

Blog Entries
    Since we're getting into spelling... "selvage" is an accepted alternate spelling. I always remember that the word is derived from 'self edge'. Pattern is still wrong, though!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Quote Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
    That misuse of ‘salvage’ rather than the correct ‘selvedge’ gets me, too! I haven’t seen it in a written pattern but some YouTube videos I’ve watched have had the spoken error. As to misreading fabric amounts, that sounds like something I’d do. Well, it sounds like your stash just grew.

It sure did! One is black, one is white, the other two are light blue and dark blue. Oh well. Could have been worse, oh...wait...I ordered these from Hancocks of paducah in late 2016. The lt blue was on back order....they shipped it when it came in. Then they shipped it Again! I guess someone forgot to update the records. LOL! This project is Jinxed. The light blue will make pretty winter projects.

Sandy
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-16-2018 at 01:05 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini

Oh My, I guess you will have plenty to piece a backing. It will all coordinate. I have been wanting to do this pattern too.

Blog Entries
    he, he. Eleanor Burns always says salvage. hurts my ears. have fun making your quilt(s).

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    he, he. Eleanor Burns always says salvage. hurts my ears. have fun making your quilt(s).
    And the other one is muslim instead of muslin. Drives me nuts.

Blog Entries
    gosh, i almost say that wrong myself. hard one. i know better but my tongue doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    Since we're getting into spelling... "selvage" is an accepted alternate spelling. I always remember that the word is derived from 'self edge'. Pattern is still wrong, though!
    Accepted as an alternate spelling for what? The two words have very different meaning. Selvage means 'self edge' as you said. Salvage means to save something. 'save' with an 'a'. Many old sewing machines get salvaged.
    Another bugaboo is border and boarder. I said, "Maybe those boarders could help you with your borders." Boarders are people who eat at your house and may take a room, too, as in 'room and board'.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Speaking of spelling errors, in the heading of this thread, should it not be Labyrinth instead of Labyrink? I also have problems with the use of selvage and salvage, as well as border and boarder.

Ha ha. I have a friend who consistently says "Baltic" when referring to batiks!!!

I'm one that never salvages my selvedges. I just toss them out.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I say selvage but if someone says salvage it doesn't bother me at all. Why should it?
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Ok which is the correct spelling...selvege or selvedge? I get that it's not salvage, but is there a D or not?

Blog Entries
    wow, now i don't know. never used a D in it before but online it seems to have a d in it. odd. but they they are putting all sorts of misspelled words in the 'dictionary, such as it is.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    Accepted as an alternate spelling for what? The two words have very different meaning. Selvage means 'self edge' as you said. Salvage means to save something. 'save' with an 'a'. Many old sewing machines get salvaged.
    Another bugaboo is border and boarder. I said, "Maybe those boarders could help you with your borders." Boarders are people who eat at your house and may take a room, too, as in 'room and board'.
    Selvage is an alternate spelling for selvedge.
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/selvedge?s=t
    I'm just trying to salvage this thread ;-)
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Selvage is an alternate spelling for selvedge.
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/selvedge?s=t
    I'm just trying to salvage this thread ;-)
    Well played, well played...
    *this space for rent*

Blog Entries
    I try to learn new words all the time when I read authors books from other Countries. guess i need our Dictionary.!

Quote Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
    Ok which is the correct spelling...selvege or selvedge? I get that it's not salvage, but is there a D or not?
    I am a terrible speller, but I want to do it correctly, so my dictionary is always handy. The words are selvage: the fabric edge; and salvage: to save something. No "D". My dictionary does not have the d.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    I had the same issue with the last baby quilt I made, luckily I don't pick just baby prints but prints that will grow with the child so I have enough fabric for at least two more baby quilts. At least it is my taste in fabric so I don't mind having some left but it was expensive to buy all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by luci4 View Post
    Speaking of spelling errors, in the heading of this thread, should it not be Labyrinth instead of Labyrink? I also have problems with the use of selvage and salvage, as well as border and boarder.

I would have loved to have been able to correct the spelling, but, alas, there is not an “edit” option for correcting titles. Good catch on your part.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luci4 View Post
    I went right past that one. I think some of these words have been clearly explained so thank you ladies

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
    There is no D.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    I would have loved to have been able to correct the spelling, but, alas, there is not an “edit” option for correcting titles. Good catch on your part.

sandy
    Sandy,

Check the advanced edit feature. It appears the edit or advanced edit features are only available for a short time though. I had a typo in one of my post titles and could change it using "advanced". Hope that helps. Rhonda K

Well, I am a retired English teacher(38 years) and it really bothers me when people misspell words or mispronounces words. It seems that they are too lazy to care and assume that the reader will correct.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast