Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lap Quilt >

Lap Quilt

Lap Quilt

Old 09-05-2011, 07:59 PM

I like the 1st layout the best. I can't wait to see pictures of your work when finished. I really like the fabrics.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:28 PM

You guys are sweet to worry and wonder. I did finish the top and added 10 inches to the middle of the back piece the lady gave me. It's really pretty, I think, and as soon as I figure out how, I'll post the pics. They're on my phone and my phone can't post pictures to here... crazy huh.... DD thinks now it's TOO big... I said better to big then too small.....
Old 09-06-2011, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

Wow, you got it done with time to spare. Good work!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:29 PM

Here's the finished top.

I've found, now, I need to detach myself from it. The lady in charge of this project really does not know what she's doing, quilting wise. I admit I am by FAR no expert. But.... she has two quilt tops now she wants hand quilted. Another besides the one I made. We went last night to begin quilting and to her credit, the first quilt was up on frames. We proceeded to pin the top I made and found the bat she had was like 3 inches two small on both sides. We had to stretch it to fit. Maybe it will be ok. Then we sit and proceed to quilt. Now, remember I'm new to hand quilting, but I know enough about sewing that I've seen special thread called "Quilting" thread. I ask one lady and she says, Yes we should be using different thread. We were given ordinary Coats N Clark sewing thread,ONE strand. Today when she called to get my address and such to reimburse me for the fabric I purchased, I told her I would try to get out and get her real quilting thread. But IF they had to quilt on it before I got the tread at least double it. That's all I could think to do. She sort of brushed me off and went on with what she was saying. She also had the offer of having the two quilts machine quilted, but she was insistent on them having the extra care of being hand quilted. Despite the fact she knows nothing about quilting, how it's done, how long it will take, or the supplies needed. So...... detached from the quilt...

Sorry if it seems I'm venting. I appologize. But I don't have time to do the entire project myself. My husband is having surgery tomorrow and my daughter is here with her three children... I know I'm wrong for being hard on her. I appologize.

Here is my finished top. I think it turned out beautiful.

My first D9P
[ATTACH=CONFIG]253027[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-253021.jpe  
Old 09-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Power Poster

Oh dear, take a deep breath. It did turn out beautifully. I wish your husband success in his surgery. You have far more to deal with right now than how a quilt is finished, and you realize that.

I have not heard of doubling thread for quilting, but I don't do hand quilting. For this project machine quilting would probably be better, but... you've done enough for the cause. Just be with your family and best of luck to all of you.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:20 PM

You did everything you could, and then some. You should feel good about your efforts :!: