Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Large cone or small spools >

Large cone or small spools

Large cone or small spools

Old 04-10-2015, 03:23 AM

For piecing on my DM, I only use Aurifil, large spool. Yeah, it's kinda pricey, but really like it as it help's me get the "scant" 1/4" when needed. I use CT large EssentialPro poly cones on my mid-arm.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:40 AM

DH purchased 15 spools of Serger thread at $1.00 a spool from a thrift store for me. So I am going thru that (maybe for a lifetime). But I only use it for Art hanging quilts and piecing, not quilting. It is very linty and I have to clean my machine often. A friend gave everyone in our Bee an inexpensive cone holder. It was a large empty jar of Jiff Peanut butter with a grommet in the center of the lid. The thread goes up thru the grommet and the cone bounces a little in the jar but it works great. I sit it behind my machine.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:58 AM

For piecing, I've been using Coats & Clark large spools for many years as I inherited them from my sister.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The best cone or spool thread holder is this one: I gave all my others away even the ornate pretty one from Connecting Threads (my granddaughter wanted that one for her room). Forget the price, you will never regret having this holder. http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...srAaAt8S8P8HAQ
Love this holder too!!
Old 04-10-2015, 04:06 AM

I like to use the cones because they are more economical. I have several basic colors. I have a cheap thread stand that sits off to the right of my machine. I taped a closed safety pin to the top of the machine near the regular spool pins and pass the thread through it and thread the machine as usual. I know thread is rather expensive-especially smaller spools but so is fabric. Good quality thread presents far fewer issues than cheap thread. I watch for sales and use coupons. I use 50 or 60 weight thread to piece but usually use 30 or 40 weight to quilt with. I have started to use Bottom Line (a polyester) to STID and like it far more than the more traditional invisible poly thread.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:10 AM

I have several of the really big Aurifil cones - 6,400 yards or something like that. I have just a regular old thread stand and it works just fine. I expect those cones to last a long long time. I usually will buy Isacord big spools for quilting if I need a color that isn't just my usual neutrals.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

I also sometimes use the CT polyester cones, but even though I'm not sure I believe it makes a difference I still hear my grandmother telling me to never use polyester thread on cotton fabrics so I don't quite feel right doing it.
The myth that poly thread is bad for cotton has been disproved many times.
There are three different types of poly thread, filament, spun, and tribal. When someone has a problem with poly thread, it's probably because they are using the wrong type for the job they are doing.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:46 AM

I have so many spools of thread left over from the days when I made clothes for my girls that I am still using them to piece quilt tops after 5 years of making quilts! I use what won't show through, regardless of color to piece.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:09 AM

That looks like the one for me. Just watched the viedo and it looks easy enough to use. Thanks for the link to the viedo.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:46 AM

I use Prescencia 60/3 thread on cones for piecing and for quilting. 60 wt. thread is finer than 50 wt, but since it is 3-ply, it is just as strong. I purchased black, white, grey and two shades of beige three years ago for $25 a cone. I was taking a class from Harriet Hargrave and she said it would seem like it lasts forever, and it does. I only use spools of thread when I'm doing topstitching or machine stitching a bindng and want to match the fabric.