Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Layer Cake or Yardage? What Would You Do? >

Layer Cake or Yardage? What Would You Do?

Layer Cake or Yardage? What Would You Do?

Old 06-01-2016, 03:51 AM

I will get the 10 inch template at Missouri Star. I will be near there next week. I bought their 5 inch charm template. It's a breeze. My Fiskars Fuse cuts 2 1/2 inch squares, but I'm trying to move away from tiny squares.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

I buy yardage because you are paying for them to cut and they are not always as accurate with their cutting. I have a June Taylor Shape Cut Pro cutter (bought on sale at JAF) and it has grooves only at 2.5" increments so you could easily cut 10" layer cakes. It will cut 8 squares at a time.
http://www.joann.com/june-tailor-sha...n/2004133.html
Old 06-01-2016, 04:26 AM

I'd go for yardage. Then you can quickly cut or tear 10" strips to cut down into 10" squares. By stacking your strips you can cut a number of 10" squares very quickly and put the money saved toward a larger cutting mat
Old 06-01-2016, 06:04 AM

I'd go with yardage - but I prewash everything, and a 10" layer cake does not end up 10" after washing. In fact, they don't even come out square after being washed. Find it interesting that one direction shrinks up more than the other . . .

Your shop hop sounds real fun! I'm taking June 21st and 22nd off work, and DH and I are going to hit many of the shops in SD. Last year was the first year any shops in SD participated (15) and this year there are several new ones, so that is what I'm after this year.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:24 AM

I took next week off weeks ago, before I realized the date of Row by Row Experience. II miscalculated my day off, but that's okay. called 15 shops yesterday to see if they had the license plates. I am only going 2-3 hours away, and I based it on if they had a website with phone and hours on the website, except the Amish shop. Being that I might miss a couple, there will be 24 stops in Missouri, and 9 in Kansas. In 2 weeks, on Saturday, I'm going to Hamilton, and 6 local shops around here to get the pattern. I knew about this last year but no way would my car make it. I bought the Missouri Star license plate a few weeks ago and decided to get the rest around here and 2 hours away. I have a car with only 4,000 miles on it. I don;t have anyone who would go with me except my mom so I am going and getting the license plates.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I'd go with yardage - but I prewash everything, and a 10" layer cake does not end up 10" after washing. In fact, they don't even come out square after being washed. Find it interesting that one direction shrinks up more than the other . . .

It is not recommended to wash precuts. That is asking for trouble.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:48 AM

I live an hour or so from Hamilton, MO....and yes it's very bad. The first time I went it was magical. I visited it again and it was still magical. That's a place I need to go to on the weekend I get paid but without a car payment and make sure every bill is paid. I have to go with a list and it needs to be uncommon fabric. And then know you'll see some fabric that catches your eye and will buy it.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

I would buy yardage. Any time I purchased precuts on line they were always smaller. Cheaper to make my own. I am also a prewasher and put the precuts in lingerie bags when I got them. I measured before and that is when I found out they were off on the measurements. After washing they were off even more. Yardage is the way I'd go. Have fun. I watched Jenny's tute on the pattern. You could do that with just about any template with straight lines. Would be interesting with diamonds.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:11 AM

http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/cuttin...-big-dies.html
there is a 10" square die for the go big.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur View Post
http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/cuttin...-big-dies.html
there is a 10" square die for the go big.
Well that's tempting.