Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Layer Cake or Yardage? What Would You Do? >

Layer Cake or Yardage? What Would You Do?

Layer Cake or Yardage? What Would You Do?

Old 06-02-2016, 01:39 PM

I would definitely do yardage for what you want to do.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Rhondals....please be advised that your math is incorrect if I'm correct in that you want 10 inch squares from yardage.
3 yards of fabric is 108 inches....divide that into 10 inch strips. You will get less than 11 strips (wof)....now divide those 10 inch strips into 10 inch blocks....only 4 from each strip!! You need more than 3 yards to get what you need...6 1/2 or 7 yards for miss cutting. If it were me, I'd just order the 10 inch squares from Missouri Star....3 packs of 40 per pack. You'll have left overs but can always so something with them.
I agree totally. You should get 7 yds of fabric if you are going to cut the squares. I would also get layer cake pkgs. Just the thought of washing, ironing & cutting all that yardage will take a lot of time that you could be sewing. Of course I rarely prewash my fabric. The quilt gets washed when it is finished.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:53 PM

You might want to check into the Fiskers Rolling Ruler while on your shopping trip. They are wonderful for cutting accurate squares and fabric strips and really save a lot of wear and tear on your hands. I do not think they are all that expensive and can be used to cut like 6 layers of fabric at one time. I have one of the older ones and love it.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
To get 90 10" squares, you need more than 3 yards of fabric. 2 yards give 28 squares, so you need 6 1/2 yards to get 90 squares.

I agree with Tothill, I would see if Connecting Threads would do the custom cutting for you. I don't like cutting squares wider than my ruler, so I would rather buy precuts.
Jennifer is correct -- if you only buy 3 yards you will only get 40 10" squares. You need to buy 6 1/2 yards to get 90 10" squares. I would buy yardage -- I have the June Tailor Shape Cut and use the large rotary cutter to cut the maximum number of pieces at once.