Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Layered bobbin >

Layered bobbin

Layered bobbin

Old 01-22-2014, 04:36 AM

When I make scrap quilts or something with a lot of different colors I like to use up the bobbin thread I don't think I will use again any time soon. That keeps empty bobbins handy so I don't have to wind one color onto another. Also it doesn't cost much to buy a few more bobbins.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:07 AM

I haven't done it but one of the treadles that I bought had bobbins with different colors of threads on them. Whoever had that treadle must have just put whatever color she needed on a bobbin and went with it - there must have been 12 or 15 different colors on one of the bobbins!!

Personally, I keep several extra bobbins handy. They are cheap and that makes it easy!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:14 AM

All the time...
Old 01-22-2014, 05:28 AM

I have wound a small amount of thread on a bobbin that already has another color on it if I am going to do a small project like mending something just because it is convenient. I do it because I don't want to fill an empty bobbin and then have another bobbin with left over thread in a color that I might not use in a coon's age. I also sometimes wind the unused thread from the bobbin back onto the spool and put it back in the storage drawer. I prefer not to have too many bobbins in the box with colors I don't use too often. My 'bigger' problem is keeping bobbins with different weights of thread or thread content organized. I have put the spool and bobbin in a little plastic bag to keep the bobbins organized.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I used to do that all the time, for 40 years of sewing. But when I started quilting, I was told "NO, NO, NO" and haven't since. Now I wonder why. At the time I thought my new sewing machine wouldn't welcome the practice, but I never had any problems when I did it with any other machine.

Dina
I use to do the same thing, but like you was told not to do that when I started quilting. The explanation I was given had to do with the tension of the thread on the bobbin when you added a new layer... and that could be true more for the newer sewing machines or just something someone in the thread industry came up with! LOL!!!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Just buy extra empty bobbins! Then you will always have one!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:10 AM

I guess my only worry would be at the end of the top layer of thread, if it caught up in the next layer somehow and caused a knot or jam in the bobbin.

I've never done this but I like to keep a pile of empty bobbins on hand so I haven't needed to. They're not very expensive so why not!? In the past (before I had my big bobbin stash) I would either just use mismatched thread or I'd find a mostly empty bobbin to unwind - I'd just throw the thread away. This was also when I was using very cheap thread, though, so I never worried about the waste.

Now that I use a lot of Aurifil, I don't think I could so casually throw away a bunch of it!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:16 AM

Used to do it all the time, years ago. Don't know why I stopped. Maybe because I now have around 100 bobbins. I use a lot for machine embroidery so fill at least 25 at a time with bobbin thread.
I used up a lot when sewing premmie baby tops.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:51 AM

I do it all the time because thread is so expensive that I don't like to waste any. No problem with the machines, either.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

I use to layer threads on the bobbin when I sewed clothing. Haven't done that sewing quilts. If I had the problem you had, then I would have done the same as you and pulled that color off when I was finished.