Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
leaders and enders? >

leaders and enders?

leaders and enders?

Old 09-18-2016, 01:05 PM

Like Tartan said, it's a distraction when you are already working on something else so I keep a 3 or 4" square to start my seam. I've just tossed all my 2.5 in a box and when I need to sew, but don't want to think, I just start pairing them up and who knows?, maybe some day it will be a quilt
Old 09-19-2016, 03:02 AM

When I'm organized enough to do it, I love having a leader and ender project. It's a great way of getting the mindless sewing of an easy patchwork quilt done, while doing another quilt. At some point, though, the secondary project takes over and you have to put it together.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:52 AM
mac

Oh my gosh, my head is spinning. I'm not sure if it because I am too ditzy to do this or that my organizational skills are too lacking to think that far ahead. Although I love the idea, I am going to have to think long and hard about this. If my husband sees smoke coming out of my head, it will be from me trying to figure out how to start doing this. LOL
Old 09-19-2016, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I always thought leaders and Enders were to begin and end chain piecing or any other shape to stop the feed dogs chewing the ends. You learn something new every visit here.
This was actually Bonnie's original inspiration.
I think with the newer machines, the "chewed ends" is not really an issue.

On the older machines, you can just leave the "ender" in the machine when you power it off. Many of the newer computerized machines sort of "reboot" everything when you power on, which (on mine anyway) actually "eats" the leader or ender I had on it.

So I don't leave them in the machine.

I'm finding that leaders and enders doesn't work so well for me.
HOWEVER... when I have those little "flip and sew" HST's, I cannot resist just going ahead and stitching that second line before I cut the leftover pieces. I end up with various different sizes of "bonus" HST's.

Just my two cents worth.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:48 AM

Tartan has a good point... I just completed 30 Arkansas Road blocks by sewing 2.5" squares of leaders/Enders while working on my Gypsy Wife project. Although I was successful finishing the 30 blocks, I am still working to assemble my GW. : )
Old 09-29-2016, 07:55 AM

Thank you all. Will try it, and see how it goes. It's a replacement for the "thread bunny"