Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Learning to paper piece >

Learning to paper piece

Learning to paper piece

Old 08-31-2023, 01:06 AM

I love paper piecing. I too bought a Judy N pattern, locked myself in my quilt room to practice. I opted to use batiks to learn with, since it is essentially double sided. Once I got the hang of it, I graduated to any fabric choice. Have fun, enjoy the process, the results are amazing and very well worth it. Lots of great tips here on this post, and lots of great videos on YouTube.
Old 08-31-2023, 03:16 AM

I enjoy paper piecing and have made the Pie and Ice Cream pattern. I didn't use it as a table runner but rather hung it as wall art. Good luck with your new learning endeavor. Take a deep breath and go for it!
Old 08-31-2023, 06:07 AM

Two resources for you:

If you get the Quilt Show, then there are tons of episodes featuring paper piecing, but I like the one with Judy Mathieson, who uses a clever method such that you have no paper to tear off the back of your work:
https://thequiltshow.com/watch/paper...judy-mathieson

Her method and many others are documented in the wonderful book:
The Experts Guide to Paper Piecing\
https://www.amazon.com/Experts-Guide...s%2C148&sr=8-1
Old 08-31-2023, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by WesternWilson View Post
Judy Mathieson, who uses a clever method such that you have no paper to tear off the back of your work:
https://thequiltshow.com/watch/paper...judy-mathieson
Is this the fold-n-sew method? That's how I do it, too. So much easier!

I use vellum to print my patterns on. It's half opaque, so it's very easy to see where to fold the paper, and if I do sew through it, once ironed it becomes somewhat brittle and easy to tear. MUCH easier than regular copy paper.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:23 AM

I love paper piecing because I can get really sharp points on small projects that I can't get otherwise no matter how hard I try. I've used it for large quilts too. While removing the paper was time consuming, I really didn't mind doing that part, but I can understand why not all people enjoy that partl
Old 08-31-2023, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

Removing paper is such a waste of time for me I put a very high value on my time.
Old 08-31-2023, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Paper piecing is a technique that I seem to have to relearn every time I do it. I get so mixed up! I love the precision but don't really enjoy it that much. But many others like it and it certainly has advantages.
Old 08-31-2023, 04:57 PM

I could never paper piece until I took a Craftsy class called Quick Strip Paper Piecing. It's a bit different method from most and it finally made sense to me.

Watson.
Old 09-02-2023, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

I could never paper piece until I took a Craftsy class called Quick Strip Paper Piecing. It's a bit different method from most and it finally made sense to me.

I remember that class. I may still have the dvd I think of how to strip paper pieced. I tried doing it but it was too complicated or time consuming for me or something because I remember saying forget it. LOL I'm going to go look for the dvd and watch it again.
Old 09-06-2023, 04:48 AM

I love PP!! been using it for several years. Haven't in a while tho. Have a LOT of orphan quilt blocks done with PP. Most times when I wanted to try out a block, I'd draw up my own pattern & copy on printer on thin, thin paper..