Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
learning sewing machine repair >

learning sewing machine repair

learning sewing machine repair

Old 01-27-2010, 08:05 PM

is it a computer machine or a mechanical one? i wouldn't fool around with a computerized machine. even a speck of dust can make it hinky. but a mechanical one .... i think that with a very good diagram, i would be tempted to try it.

what's wrong with yours?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Barbm
Do you know where I can go to learn sewing machine repair? I've wanted to learn for a long time now.

I do the basic cleanings but would like to learn tension repair.

Recommendations? I learn better from a person and hands on, but would take an online course if need be.

Thanks!
Barbm
(owner of 6 machines that need attention)
I've wanted to take lesson for a long time. I worked with a local repair man doing maintenance on our guild machines (18) and learned so much. I don't know if he would be willing to teach me or not but I learned a little more than cleaning from him that day.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:42 AM

I would definitely get someone to train you, hands on. I'm living overseas, and have been trying to fix my Pfaff. I succeeded in cleaning, opening it up and oiling a part that was supposed to be self lubricated (10 year old machine), but then saw that the engine is sparking. Looked it up online, and there were instructions for taking the engine apart and fixing it. But then my formerly electrical engineering husband warned me that there are "capacitors" that are very dangerous and I probably shouldn't mess with it. Don't mean to be a wet blanket - I wish you the best. I think it sounds fun.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:44 AM

Go to Ray White's site: WhiteSewingCenter.com is the site, I think. He goes all over the country giving seminars on machine repair. I took all his classes a few years back, just great!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:50 AM

my husband has been trying to learn this for a while not one repair person was willing to train him as they didn't want to loose business to him and the factory authorized classes you have to be sponsored by a sewing machine dealer to go to.