Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Left handed quilter "HELP" >

Left handed quilter "HELP"

Left handed quilter "HELP"

Old 12-08-2010, 08:59 AM

g
Originally Posted by nativetexan
how does she cut pizza?? tell her to think of the fabric as pizza and the rotary cutter as her pizza cutter.
good idea
Old 12-08-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by hannajo
I'm also a lefty and I've never had trouble using a rotary cutter. Have you tried to use her cutter? I'm wondering if there might be something wrong with her cutter.
yes i have used hers......it works good......
Old 12-08-2010, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
I don't think the problem is her being left handed. It seems that she is afraid of cutting. Either afraid of cutting herself or maybe she feels she doesn't need to apply any force.
I agree with Maride. I am a lefty and any of the things you have done should work.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:13 PM

A trick my LQS owner taught this lefty: Right-handed quilters measure and cut from the left side of the fabric - makes sense. But, for a lefty it is hard to see where I am cutting. Sometimes I measure the fabric and I go around the other side of the board to cut my fabric because I am visual and have to see with my own eyes. So, she taught me to cut from right side of the fabric, measure, line up and cut. I was more confident because I could see where I was cutting. I know it may not sound like a big deal, but it was an "AHA" moment for me.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:44 AM

I'm a lefty too :)

If there is a fear of cutting herself.. and the klutz glove isn't feasible, she could try the suction cup handles.
Her hands will definitely be out of the way.

Without physically seeing it myself..
I'm in agreement with others.. not enough pressure.
Perhaps her positioning over the cutting surface doesn't give her the proper angle to apply adequate pressure?

I hope she's able to find a comfortable way to successfully cut her fabric!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:55 AM

I am left handed, but cut with right hand (with scissors). With my rotary cutter, I find I cut from the right side of the ruler more comfortably, having the bulk of fabric on my left, because I can see what I'm doing better. It gives me more confidence for a better cut. However, sometimes my ruler will get in my way because I usually use my 24" ruler for cutting & no real room to work here. If the whole ruler didn't come in so handy, I'd think about hacking it off to an 18" length.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Becky Crafts
I am left handed, but cut with right hand (with scissors). With my rotary cutter, I find I cut from the right side of the ruler more comfortably, having the bulk of fabric on my left, because I can see what I'm doing better. It gives me more confidence for a better cut.
I'm like you in that I'm left-handed, but use scissors with my right hand.. I think that was a self-defense/adaptive mechanism as left handed scissors were few and far between when I was growing up!

As for the rotary cutter.. I've never felt comfortable right-handed... go figure!

I bought a Martelli left handed cutter at the Houston Festival this year and absolutely LOVE it.
It is MUCH easier too apply pressure without strain.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:19 AM

Another lefty here. I don't cut at an angle, but rather, hold the cutter straight up. Works for me.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by eaglebeak1960
try getting her a glove for cutting she made be scared of cutting herself.. I have seen on the Fonz and Porter Pbs show.. Maryanne Fonz uses it all the time I think it is called a klutz glove I wished I had one

Chris
I've been looking at them too. I've "grazed" my right hand tooooooo often. The only thing is, they're $25! That's a lot IMHO.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:13 PM

I agree, she needs to learn how to hold the rotary cutter and apply pressure both. Since safety is another possible concern of hers, it might also be the type of rotary cutter she is using. Many friends love the Martelli rotary cutter. It doesn't seem as dangerous and is easier to cut with.

How does she h old the ruler while she is cutting?

just saying.

ali